Flywheels (what is the biggest automotive / truck / lorry one you know of?) - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
Team GasMisers5!

Flywheels (what is the biggest automotive / truck / lorry one you know of?)

I'm just doing a few calculations, involving flywheels, and I'm trying to find out what kind of flywheels are available. I'm just considering the feasibility of a flywheel energy storage system for use in a car (electrical energy storage).

Flywheel explosions can be devastating, which is why I'm interested in automotive ones - they are tried and tested, and good for 4000-9000rpm depending on which type you use .

The best I've found so far is:

S13 Nissan 200SX ----- 13kg flywheel ----- 30cm diameter (15cm radius) = 12"/6" ----- rated to 7200rpm (8500rpm appears no problem with engine mods).

What I'm really interested in, is whether you can get flywheels with a larger diameter, and what speed the engine they came from is rated at?. The mass of the flywheel isn't particularly important, what is more important is that there is a lot of mass on the outer edge of the flywheel .

So, does anyone here know of the specs for flywheels for large engines e.g. gas-powered truck engines?. I would be grateful for any details to see if my ideas can be made to work

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote