OBD II conection question? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

OBD II conection question?

Today, I received from my insurance tracking device with OBD II port. My Scangauge is curentlly connect to that port. How can I connect both devices together? Thanks for any reply.

holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Registered Member

just as an idea (and it isn't easy) you could parallel another obd2 connector on your existing one. the problem with that is you have about a dozen wires to splice, solder, and tape up/heat shrink. it may be worth it in the end though. to my knowledge, all obd2 connectors are the same. some research would have to be done to see if this is possible. if it was, you could go to a junk yard and pull one from pretty much any vehicle 1996 and above. you may have to come up with a custom mount location for the other obd2 connector but you could steal the mount off of the doner vehicle as well.

I have actually been thinking of paralleling two scangauges so that I have more displays. I would really like about 6 but of course, they don't make that one.

good luck and remember, this is just a crazy idea from someone that really needs to go to bed.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:12 AM   #3

get an ODB2 splitter cable...

http://www.carplugs.com/Product_view_Cables_2.html
VersaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypaulie View Post
insurance tracking device...
Ok, I'm getting the "Big Brother" feeling here. What's it all about?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

I didn't know they made the splitters. that is a good idea.

and yea what is with the tracking thing anyway?

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I'm going to guess insurance rate discount for installing said tracking device.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #7

OP is from NJ... found this story from a NJ source...

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/topsto...ut_car_in.html
VersaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Hmm, if this is a voluntary enrollment, it would be great for a hypermiler! But maybe not if they do a lot of EOC'ing.

Up to 60% rate cut for the best of the best drivers eh? If it is a voluntary system, I can see people that drive like racecar drivers not going for it.....or actually enrolling and then finding out that they get up to a 9% increase in surcharges for driving horribly.

It's a great idea in theory, hopefully it won't put Progressive out of business since most of the people on the system would be the kind that pay attention and would qualify for the discount rather than the surcharge.

Ok, back on topic:
It looks like the OBD2 cable splitter is the quick, easy, and not too expensive way to go. looks like it's $21 shipped, which could be quickly recovered if you get a good reduction in your insurance premiums.

Holypaulie - If I may ask; how much a month do you pay for insurance premiums?

I pay $30.42/month for insurance on my VX and that is including me taking out a street light pole over a year ago with another car that I owned. Although insurance is cheap in MN for a 30yr old driver with multiple cars, house insurance through the same company and having a 14yr old car that is slow, along with a relatively clean driving record.

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Hmm, if this is a voluntary enrollment, it would be great for a hypermiler! But maybe not if they do a lot of EOC'ing.

Up to 60% rate cut for the best of the best drivers eh? If it is a voluntary system, I can see people that drive like racecar drivers not going for it.....or actually enrolling and then finding out that they get up to a 9% increase in surcharges for driving horribly.

It's a great idea in theory, hopefully it won't put Progressive out of business since most of the people on the system would be the kind that pay attention and would qualify for the discount rather than the surcharge.

Ok, back on topic:
It looks like the OBD2 cable splitter is the quick, easy, and not too expensive way to go. looks like it's $21 shipped, which could be quickly recovered if you get a good reduction in your insurance premiums.

Holypaulie - If I may ask; how much a month do you pay for insurance premiums?

I pay $30.42/month for insurance on my VX and that is including me taking out a street light pole over a year ago with another car that I owned. Although insurance is cheap in MN for a 30yr old driver with multiple cars, house insurance through the same company and having a 14yr old car that is slow, along with a relatively clean driving record.
Right now I pay $340(with tracking device) for 6 months used to pay $600, but that was from different insurance.
holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypaulie View Post
Right now I pay $340(with tracking device) for 6 months used to pay $600, but that was from different insurance.
That is still a substantial savings! Congrats

So now you have the potential to drop your premiums even lower based on the findings of the device?

Quote: