OBD II conection question? - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
 
holypaulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 108
Country: United States
OBD II conection question?

Today, I received from my insurance tracking device with OBD II port. My Scangauge is curentlly connect to that port. How can I connect both devices together? Thanks for any reply.
__________________

holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_BEEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,831
just as an idea (and it isn't easy) you could parallel another obd2 connector on your existing one. the problem with that is you have about a dozen wires to splice, solder, and tape up/heat shrink. it may be worth it in the end though. to my knowledge, all obd2 connectors are the same. some research would have to be done to see if this is possible. if it was, you could go to a junk yard and pull one from pretty much any vehicle 1996 and above. you may have to come up with a custom mount location for the other obd2 connector but you could steal the mount off of the doner vehicle as well.

I have actually been thinking of paralleling two scangauges so that I have more displays. I would really like about 6 but of course, they don't make that one.

good luck and remember, this is just a crazy idea from someone that really needs to go to bed.
__________________

__________________
Be the change you wish to see in the world
--Mahatma Gandhi



GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
VersaDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11
Country: United States
Location: Michigan
get an ODB2 splitter cable...

http://www.carplugs.com/Product_view_Cables_2.html
VersaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_SD26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 529
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by holypaulie View Post
insurance tracking device...
Ok, I'm getting the "Big Brother" feeling here. What's it all about?
__________________
Dave
GasSavers_SD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_BEEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,831
I didn't know they made the splitters. that is a good idea.

and yea what is with the tracking thing anyway?
__________________
Be the change you wish to see in the world
--Mahatma Gandhi



GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_TomO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,108
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I'm going to guess insurance rate discount for installing said tracking device.
__________________

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
VersaDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11
Country: United States
Location: Michigan
OP is from NJ... found this story from a NJ source...

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/topsto...ut_car_in.html
VersaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_TomO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,108
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Hmm, if this is a voluntary enrollment, it would be great for a hypermiler! But maybe not if they do a lot of EOC'ing.

Up to 60% rate cut for the best of the best drivers eh? If it is a voluntary system, I can see people that drive like racecar drivers not going for it.....or actually enrolling and then finding out that they get up to a 9% increase in surcharges for driving horribly.

It's a great idea in theory, hopefully it won't put Progressive out of business since most of the people on the system would be the kind that pay attention and would qualify for the discount rather than the surcharge.

Ok, back on topic:
It looks like the OBD2 cable splitter is the quick, easy, and not too expensive way to go. looks like it's $21 shipped, which could be quickly recovered if you get a good reduction in your insurance premiums.

Holypaulie - If I may ask; how much a month do you pay for insurance premiums?

I pay $30.42/month for insurance on my VX and that is including me taking out a street light pole over a year ago with another car that I owned. Although insurance is cheap in MN for a 30yr old driver with multiple cars, house insurance through the same company and having a 14yr old car that is slow, along with a relatively clean driving record.
__________________

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
 
holypaulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 108
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Hmm, if this is a voluntary enrollment, it would be great for a hypermiler! But maybe not if they do a lot of EOC'ing.

Up to 60% rate cut for the best of the best drivers eh? If it is a voluntary system, I can see people that drive like racecar drivers not going for it.....or actually enrolling and then finding out that they get up to a 9% increase in surcharges for driving horribly.

It's a great idea in theory, hopefully it won't put Progressive out of business since most of the people on the system would be the kind that pay attention and would qualify for the discount rather than the surcharge.

Ok, back on topic:
It looks like the OBD2 cable splitter is the quick, easy, and not too expensive way to go. looks like it's $21 shipped, which could be quickly recovered if you get a good reduction in your insurance premiums.

Holypaulie - If I may ask; how much a month do you pay for insurance premiums?

I pay $30.42/month for insurance on my VX and that is including me taking out a street light pole over a year ago with another car that I owned. Although insurance is cheap in MN for a 30yr old driver with multiple cars, house insurance through the same company and having a 14yr old car that is slow, along with a relatively clean driving record.
Right now I pay $340(with tracking device) for 6 months used to pay $600, but that was from different insurance.
holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_TomO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,108
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by holypaulie View Post
Right now I pay $340(with tracking device) for 6 months used to pay $600, but that was from different insurance.
That is still a substantial savings! Congrats

So now you have the potential to drop your premiums even lower based on the findings of the device?
__________________

__________________

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lawn edge side skirts holypaulie Aerodynamics 6 06-06-2010 02:51 PM
What do you run: SVO, WVO, BioD, or other? SVOboy Vegetable Oil and BioDiesel 12 02-04-2010 05:13 AM
Saturn TDI for S-Series cfg83 Diesels 14 10-02-2007 02:24 PM
Arggg.... Hooray For Proprietary Fluids! trebuchet03 General Discussion (Off-Topic) 2 05-08-2007 11:03 AM
Honda n600 on the east coast (Virginia) - $750 Matt Timion For Sale 1 06-19-2006 05:34 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.