snow tires -- right size? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
the 1st number is 'section width' of the tires measured at the widest point. I don't know if it's mounted or not but it's definitely NOT tread width. the cheapest craptastic tires where I work have OVER and inch less tread width vs the same numeric size high quality tire (in the 215-235ish range. gonna me more with bigger tires, less with smaller ones).

I'd go with those tires, oughta be OK but keep the pressures on the high side to compensate for the narrower section having more sidewall flex to acheive the same ground contact patch

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Also, are studded snows not ideal for highway driving? I often travel 75 miles each way on the highway. Thanks! They're very cheap, $20 for 1 season used studded snow tires. Thanks.
At that price, you really can't go wrong. The Hakkapelitta-2s I had on the STi were $900 including the mount and balance. They were T-rated (118 MPH) and did just fine at a sustained 110 MPH. I didn't want to push it.

I second the concept of narrower being better when it comes to snow however. The Hakks were 225mm width and floated/hydroplaned horribly on slush.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:26 AM   #13
Registered Member

I use 155/80/13s for my winter tires. They are Winterforce studables, but this is the second season I've run them without studs. My GPS says my MPH is very close if not right-on with these tires compared to my 175/70/13s I use in the non-cold seasons (which are also not the correct size for the VX).

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:49 AM   #14
Registered Member

I think the thing with studs is that you don't want to drive more than about 50mph on dry pavement with them or the studs get hot and start falling out. At least that's the way they used to be.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
I think the thing with studs is that you don't want to drive more than about 50mph on dry pavement with them or the studs get hot and start falling out. At least that's the way they used to be.
Er, go back two posts and review.

Seriously, 110 mph sustained for over a couple of hours (with occassional slowing for traffic etc.). Never lost a stud doing that. The number one boneheaded thing that people do to rip studs out is turn their front wheels one way or the other while stopped! ALWAYS make sure the vehicle is moving when steering on studded tires.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote