Vx PCV Valve...Is it working? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
My theory is that the VX ECU is set up to compensate for having the fixed orifice system. I did run a normal PCV valve for about 10 months with no noticeable downfalls. When I switched back to the fixed orifice and the larger catch can it took the ECU about 10 seconds (once at operating temps) to compensate for the fixed orifice. My idle stays solid at ~ 600RPM with no electrical loads and ~850 with electrical loads (lights or climate control fan, as well as jumping up to cover the radiator fan when that one kicks on).

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Positive crankcase ventilation? I forget for sure...it vents the crankcase to the intake manifold in order to burn up some old junk.
yup, as you know some comression leaks into the valve area(goes past the valve stems) and obviously pressurelizes the valve area) they added this pcv so it allows the pressure to escape but to keep the oil loss at a minimum. so its normal to have that valve oil coated.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
Registered Member

It's good to hear this pcv is actually the correct one! Well I sprayed it out, and it seems like there is nothing in it, just a molded elbow like someone said above. I know on my last VX motor, someone had installed a traditional style Honda PCV and it actually didnt seal correctly at all for some reason...and I could hear it rattling at idle.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #14
Registered Member

My friend just picked up an all OEM VX from a fellow member here (whychug), and it also has the one-piece molded PCV that is completely hollow inside. I thought it may have been clogged, but I blew through both sides easily, and it appeared to be not dirty at all inside or out.

I suspect this not-normal PCV that really is just a molded plastic elbow is the one the VX is supposed to have from the factory.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I tossed the correct part, and replaced it with a PCV valve by mistake, honda for some reason no longer carries the correct part, leaving me pulling the guts out of a PCV valve to correct the problem.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I tossed the correct part, and replaced it with a PCV valve by mistake, honda for some reason no longer carries the correct part, leaving me pulling the guts out of a PCV valve to correct the problem.
I'll have to look for these at the junkyard. I'm sure a few people could use them who had the previous owner toss the original.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
It's pretty easy to mod the little blue PCV that you normally get from an autoparts store. You just need a sharp utility knife and about 2 minutes of your time.

Take the Blue PCV and the sharp utility knife and cut off the bottom (black) end of the PCV right where it transitions from an angle to straight portion.

Then pop out the plunger and the TWO springs that are in there. There is one around the base of the plunger, and one that resides in the crook of the 90° bend in the blue portion of the PCV. A hooked paperclip works well for grabbing it.

Then VIOLA! you have a free flow PCV for your VX.

I'll get some pictures up tonight and write a formal How-To.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote