'92 VX engine problem - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #21
Registered Member

now that your car is working again, why not go the extra step and give it a good tuneup!? Like adjust the valve clearance, TRULY clean out the injectors by rebuilding them and taking it to a place that cleans them, test all the sensors that are use to make sure they're not out of spec, just check everything with a fine toothed comb and soon enough you'll be averaging 50mpg like you're suppose to be.. I'd also do a leakdown and compression test to make sure your car hasn't gotten too worn down, to the point of needing a rebuild..(Car will wear faster if it runs rich due to improper tune)

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #22
VX trainee

Fix everything the RIGHT way?! I dunno....this car has more duct tape on it than paint...especially since my son "barb-wired" the driver's side.

The engine shouldn't be in too bad of shape, probably 30-40,000 mi when we transplanted it in my VX. It just took me a while to get brave enough to cut wires and put the right O2 sensor in. As for the mileage, I don't know if we can squeeze 50mpg out of a D15b....I got mid to high 40's with the original VX engine, before it shot craps at around 230,000 mi.

4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:56 AM   #23
Registered Member

Love hearing good news, congratulations.
We have a member (I'll look him up and out him) with a '95 Civic DX (D15B7) who runs in the low 50s consistently. His driving is in and around Boston! If he can do that there you ought to be able to get pretty good returns in Kansas (or are you "not in Kansas anymore"? Uh,... sorry.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:38 AM   #24
Registered Member

Edit previous post:
cems70 does get remarkable mileage from his '95 DX but not in Boston. He's in RI and spends a majority of driving miles on open highway. In addition he's added aerodynamic mods, LRR tires, employs much engine-off coasting and adjusts his mileage calculations to reflect true distance (GPS v. odometer, see his gaslog)
Old 01-29-2010, 04:44 AM   #25
Registered Member

Swapped in a CX tranny too.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Miser View Post
Swapped in a CX tranny too.
there you go... that is what is really doing it, the transmission.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #27
VX trainee

Quote:
Love hearing good news, congratulations.
We have a member (I'll look him up and out him) with a '95 Civic DX (D15B7) who runs in the low 50s consistently. His driving is in and around Boston! If he can do that there you ought to be able to get pretty good returns in Kansas (or are you "not in Kansas anymore"? Uh,... sorry.
Yup, still here in my red slippers, lounging on the front porch with Toto, sipping on an ice-cold beer.

Seriously, though I do coast a lot...and have LRR tires (45 lbs in them, as I recall).
4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:26 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Edit previous post:
cems70 does get remarkable mileage from his '95 DX but not in Boston. He's in RI and spends a majority of driving miles on open highway. In addition he's added aerodynamic mods, LRR tires, employs much engine-off coasting and adjusts his mileage calculations to reflect true distance (GPS v. odometer, see his gaslog)
Didn't know anyone was talking about me until I stumbled across this thread! Most of my driving during the last 6 months has been around the RI/Boston area with a few trips outside the region. I've wanted to add an under belly pan for awhile, but haven't had the time. So the only aero mod is the front grille block during the winter. The biggest FE improvement was swapping in the CX tranny shortly after I bought the car almost 3 years ago. I think if I drove the car abnormally (i.e. without fuel efficiency in mind), I would probably get around 45 mpg.