Loud groaning from front end - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Loud groaning from front end

A few months back I had to replace the anti-sway bar linkages and bushings in order to pass inspection. The linkages were making a clunking noises which seems to be common to the OEM ones on the HHR. The new bushings are from a Chevy dealer. The linkages are Moog, which are a smidge(millimeters) longer than the originals.

The repair mostly fixed the clunking issue. Once and awhile it happens, but rarely. It passed, so I can live with that. However, the amount of road noise increase. At least that's what I thought. The new parts tightened up the connections and transmitted more road vibrations to the frame.

Except that it has gotten louder over time. It is quite overbearing at highway speeds. I hope to have a chance to take a look this weekend. Check for dragging and play in the bearings. If I can find them, replace the original linkages. At least regrease the new ones. Maybe take a test drive with the sway bar disconnected.

Any other suggestions?
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote