VX o2 Sensor- Which one? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #11
Registered Member

I'll be getting mine this coming monday. I'll let you know how it works out.

1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:42 AM   #12
Registered Member

1819, hmm... America's first great economic crisis and depression often referred to as The Panic of 1819. Perhaps it's not simply coincidence that you're found seeking a bargain? Seems you're in good company. I very much look forward to hearing of your experience. My apologies if you feel like a lab rat. Are you retrofitting a federal (with all due respect to the 31st state) ECU at this time as well?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
Registered Member

Hmmmm..indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Miser View Post
1819, hmm... America's first great economic crisis and depression often referred to as The Panic of 1819. Perhaps it's not simply coincidence that you're found seeking a bargain? Seems you're in good company. I very much look forward to hearing of your experience. My apologies if you feel like a lab rat. Are you retrofitting a federal (with all due respect to the 31st state) ECU at this time as well?

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be doing the conversion yet. Aside from telling you gentlemen if the new sensor makes my cel go away, I don't know how to properly gauge it's performance/effectiveness. Any recommendations? I know I have less to work with seeing as how I have a CA. ECU, but I'm willing to run whatever tests I can with the tools at my disposal.
1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
Registered Member

I thought CA VXs use regular 4-wire narrow-band oxygen sensors. :/
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
Registered Member

1819:
I have a 1992 CA. Vx which came with a 5 wire sensor, but from what I've read, it doesn't even have to correct ecu to require it. Down the road I do plan on converting it with a Fed Ecu, but right now times are tough. Am I going to be ok with the four wire? Please don't tell me I have to splice any wires or anything! I had planned on buying this one

*************:

If you have a '92 VX with a 5 wire sensor, then you should use the 5 wire sensor, no way of getting around that.. Converting to 4 wire would be pretty difficult and a waste especially if you plan on swapping to a FED ECU which would give you lean burn. Just pony up the $$ for the O2 sensor and just be happy that a swap to a Federal ECU is going to be as easy as plug and play.

The Civic VX was sold in the US during model years 1992 through 1995. My understanding is that, upon emission testing the '92 model, California disallowed it's sale due to higher than allowable nitrogenoxide emissions (attributable to lean burn mode.) Those cars would have been identical to the "federal" (rest of the US) cars but for this mandate. Honda quickly swapped in a non lean burn ECU (Electronic Control Unit or "computer") so the car would meet California's stringent emission requirements. The 5 wire O2 (Linear Air Flow or LAF in Honda terms) remained only for 1992 VXs sold in California. In future California model years Honda swapped in the less expensive 4 wire sensor which provided more than sufficient data to the California only non lean burn ECU.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #16
jmf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Miser View Post
Call me a cynic but, as tempting as it may be, I cannot find much support for jmf's no-name $99.99 unit. "Worked fine" is relative. Simply unplug your malfunctioning (or functioning, for that matter) sensor and your Civic will "work fine" too. If you're willing to tolerate a potential 40% (!) drop in efficiency.
A quick search shows that we have many, many threads on the subject without any definitive results or recommendations. Only wish I had the time to become the authority on this subject. Any member with sufficient personal experience willing to weigh in?
I have sufficient personal auto experience. I said "worked fine" to keep the post short. I could have said complies with manufacturers specifications or something more to reassure you of my auto knowledge. After installing the O2sensor my vx ran smoother and my mileage increased. I found that site by chance and thought I would test my luck with a cheap sensor. I still think it works fine.

Thanks HC for backing my credibility.

Fuel Miser I might have questioned me too. I just wanted people to know I bought one from that site and it worked.

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:37 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
jmf, you backed up your credibility by posting detailed information and keeping a detailed gaslog. I merely found the info that you posted.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #18

I bought the NTK 24300. On the metal part of the sensor it's stamped L2H2. This is different than the L1H1 that was on the original sensor. But the car runs allot better with the new sensor.
I've also cleaned all intake parts - EGR, manifold, Throttle body, etc. Put the correct plugs in the car and set the ign timing. This all made the engine run better and improved MPG.

I don't know if this is normal or not as I've owned this VX for only a year and never drove another...
I can feel when the car goes into and out of lean burn mode. At least that's what I think is going on. Coming out of lean burn modeas I press harder on the gas pedal there is an increase of power and a decrease in MPG.

A couple months ago I built and installed a MPGuino. Great little gizmo. I'd recommend it to anyone who is concerned with fuel mileage and does not have a OBD port on the car.
N2UAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #19
Registered Member

Sorry jmf, I'm new to the site and wasn't sufficiently familiar to check your gaslog. Glad the part performed well for you. I have such a hard time making decisions, thanks to all for the help. I believe I'll take the leap and order the part. I'll get my gaslog posted and keep the group informed on my experience.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Fuel Miser, please put in entries from before your O2 sensor replacement too, if possible.