Where can I get aluminum drums - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
jmf
Registered Member

Where can I get aluminum drums

Does anyone know where to get honda aluminum drums? I would like to replace the rear drums on my vx. Are the crx drums a direct swap?
Has anyone done this and if so did you notice a difference?

Thanks

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hmm, while you're at it, maybe you'll want to try replacing with aluminum control arms. Reducing unsprung weight can be pretty helpful though I can't say if the cost savings are worth it or not.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
IIRC you can still get the Aluminum drums for both the 88CRX HF and the 1st gen Insight from Honda directly. It may be pricey though. Otherwise junkyards are your friends if you can find any of those vehicles that still have the OEM drums.

Most Auto parts stores only have the Steel/Iron versions on hand.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Hmm, while you're at it, maybe you'll want to try replacing with aluminum control arms. Reducing unsprung weight can be pretty helpful though I can't say if the cost savings are worth it or not.

Sorry meant to quote JMF

If the junkyard is an option for you I saw a pretty complete crx hf here in sacramento. If you want I can go check them for you and let you know how much they want for them. Just spot me on the price of the drums and shipping... labor is on the house

Another bet would be car-parts.com too... these pick n pulls are pricey and im sure the parts you would get from car-parts would have to be better qin better shape as well.

Yup I see quite a few of them on the site for around 30 bucks... I can tell you that is cheaper then what I would be able to get at the pick n pull here.
M_barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
IIRC you can still get the Aluminum drums for both the 88CRX HF and the 1st gen Insight from Honda directly. It may be pricey though. Otherwise junkyards are your friends if you can find any of those vehicles that still have the OEM drums.
Is that a "confirmation" that they will work on a '92-95 Civic?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben98gs View Post
Is that a "confirmation" that they will work on a '92-95 Civic?
There is a thread either on GS here or on EM stating that the HF ones fit with no issues and the Insight ones fit but have a small rubbing issue on something that can be fixed by either driving or just grinding a small lip off of something. I'll check and edit later if I find it.

EDIT:
Some info on the rear drums

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
jmf
Registered Member

I might just be dreaming about the drums right now. I've started a pretty involved cancer removal. I've cut off from the door to the taillight and the rockers too(both sides). A lot of the inner fenders are gone. So I think I'll wait to get it back together before the brakes. I know I'll need drums soon and I would rather have aluminum if possible. I just thought I would check so I could start budgeting for that project next.

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Registered Member

Re: Where can I get aluminum drums

I have searched as many forums as I can and i still can't find a definitive answer on the insight drums fitting the vx or not.
Has anyone actually used them on the vx or is it all speculation that they will work.