Do I need a fuel additive? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #31
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 464
Country: United Kingdom
Location: East Yorkshire
I ran a car on biodiesel and got 42-44 mpg (this was the first time I worked out real mpg, as I brim to brim filled it cos there was just this one biodiesel place)- when I switched back to pump diesel, I went up to 52-54 mpg, so yeah I would say biodiesel has less energy! Nice peanut smell from the tailpipe though.
__________________

__________________
benlovesgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #32
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 120
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong View Post
To all the diesel drivers who got self-righteous about their "clean diesels"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
No one is getting self righteous about owning a diesel....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp385 View Post
Screw emissions, I'd(sic) love a diesel car....
Diesel drivers were self-righteous, when "clean diesels" advertising said they were clean, so they could sell diesels at the beginning of this decade. Diesel drivers still don't care about emissions.... & are still self-righteous.
__________________

litesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:20 AM   #33
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,483
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Mid Wales
I disagree entirely, nobody buys a car based on its emissions, most people are only interested in the economy, which does relate to emissions in some respects. The emissions of passenger vehicles are published on the registration documents, but apart from C02, people show little interest in emissions.
__________________

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #34
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1
Country: United States
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Diesels put out less CO2 but more NOX - that's the latest issue.
JSharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #35
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 75
Country: United States
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
I disagree entirely, nobody buys a car based on its emissions, most people are only interested in the economy, which does relate to emissions in some respects. The emissions of passenger vehicles are published on the registration documents, but apart from C02, people show little interest in emissions.
Really? How do you account for all the "green" people buying hybrids?
__________________
Matt715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #36
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 464
Country: United Kingdom
Location: East Yorkshire
He's got me on self righteous...!
__________________
benlovesgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #37
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,483
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Mid Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt715 View Post
Really? How do you account for all the "green" people buying hybrids?
Hybrids have been around for decades, and people buy them because they're after economy, I very much doubt people with hybrids buy them because of low emissions, in fact I think most people would struggle to answer if you asked them how much C02 thier cars emitted!
__________________

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #38
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 464
Country: United Kingdom
Location: East Yorkshire
I have recently had my eyes opened to the mk1 insight, and my reasons for buying it would be:
1 better Mpg than my current car
2 I absolutely love the styling, light green colour, silver wheel trims, groovy interior
3 it will stand out, a head Turner due to rarity
4 free Road tax
5 I d get to feel self righteous - more so even than with my diesel!
6 the eco friendly angle
__________________
benlovesgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #39
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 75
Country: United States
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Hybrids have been around for decades, and people buy them because they're after economy, I very much doubt people with hybrids buy them because of low emissions, in fact I think most people would struggle to answer if you asked them how much C02 thier cars emitted!
OK, lets take it one step farther- electric cars. Zero emissions and they are marketed that way by the manufacturers. I can guarantee you that the people who are buying those aren't buying them for the economy. Take a look at Tesla and the people who buy them. I don't think someone dropping $79,000+ for a S model are worried about economy. Have a look at their website: Model S | Tesla Motors What's the first feature that they are selling? Zero emissions.

You and other members from the UK keep going on and on about your emissions road taxes and how it was one of their factors in buying the model of the car they own. Don't give me that BS that people don't buy cars based on emissions.

Let's agree to disagree.
__________________
Matt715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:57 AM   #40
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,483
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Mid Wales
Crossed threads slightly, I was actually talking about the US, where auto emissions are not as openly published and are hard to come by than they are here. As you say, there are very few emission based incentives to buy low emission cars in the US (Road tax, congestion zones etc) so it's more common that car owners chase mpg numbers rather than emission figures.
__________________

__________________

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.