Not everyone wants a large diesel engine - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Diesels
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2016, 05:01 AM   #71
Registered Member

The question now is whether those VWs will still return the performance and fuel economy after any fix for the emission cheat.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #72
Registered Member

I can let you know in a few months, my friend, my parents and both my bosses have the 2.0 litre TDI which requires a software update.

As regards to diesel V's hybrid, I covered this last year or the one before, over here it works out you're better off with a diesel, mainly because of the purchase cost. If you compare a Toyota which has both hybrid and diesel options like the Auris (similar size to Prius) the fuel economy figures are very similar, but the hybrid no doubt costs alot more to purchase initially.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #73
Registered Member

The Auris hybrid is available for about the same price in the UK as the diesel. For the same trim, it is about 1200 pounds more; that is a lower hybrid premium than what we pay in the states for Toyota hybrids.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/auris/index.json
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #74
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
The question now is whether those VWs will still return the performance and fuel economy after any fix for the emission cheat.
I keep meticulous fuel economy records. Hmmmm, I'm on Fuelly, so I guess that's redundant to say that :-/ My Audi Q5's 3.0L TDI engine is affected, but so far, no word on what will be done or when. The letter from Audi simply says they're working on a solution. If/when those changes get rolled out, you can be sure we'll start seeing threads talking about it. I'll be sure to say something, regardless if my fuel consumption is affected or not.

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #75
LDB
Registered Member

I just read a report five minutes ago saying VW will pay U.S. owners $5,000 in addition to whatever "solution" they come up with.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #76
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I just read a report five minutes ago saying VW will pay U.S. owners $5,000 in addition to whatever "solution" they come up with.
Here’s the story I read: http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...sel-settlement

The story in the link simply says:
"...Germany's Die Welt newspaper reported Wednesday that the deal to settle the case would involve it paying each affected customer $5,000. But a person briefed on the matter said no decisions on how individual compensation will be awarded have been made..."

In other words, the $5,000 compensation figure has been thrown around, a newspaper reported it as fact, but VW has not confirmed this is the case.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #77
Registered Member

That's just greedy people seeing dollar signs again, I'd be disgusted if VW were blackmailed into paying up. It was wrong of them to cheat, but so what, it didn't really make a difference in the grand scheme of things. I know I always bang on about the Coal stations in the US, but I think people just forget about them because they build them out of sight and out of mind. Even if you closed 99.9999% of them down, and left ONE open, it would still generate 1400% more pollution than EVERY diesel car in the US combined. Just think about that for a second. Makes you wonder if people even know the facts.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #78
Registered Member

Draigflag, the US is the most litigious country in the world, with more lawyers per capita than the next 5 countries combined! VW's US-appeasement tactic is intended to reduce total payouts by avoiding hundreds of class-action lawsuits in the states.

I'm in Canada, the US's little brother, so we sometimes benefit from good thing in the US. Although I don't expect anything from Audi other than to fix my Q5 TDI's emissions issue and not affect my fuel economy and/or performance (I bought my car in part due to those factors), I'd certainly welcome a pile of cash if they threw it my way.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #79
LDB
Registered Member

I wish they'd shut down every law school in the U.S. for a decade but that's another thought all together.

On another note, how did you get the 3 different mpg values to display in your signature?

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #80
Registered Member

How to show US MPG + UK MPG + L/100 in signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
...On another note, how did you get the 3 different mpg values to display in your signature?...
1) Dashboard
2) Click on desired vehicle
3) Click Badges link near bottom
4) Change the "This page is showing banners with fuel economy units in" popup menu to the desired metric (e.g., UK MPG)
5) Copy the code from the "Small Banner (120 x 45)" section, top field
6) Paste that code into a text document
7) Go to Step #4 and change the dropdown menu to the second metric (e.g., MPG)
8) Once you've formed the new signature with the 3 metrics in a text document, you can copy that to your Fuelly signature.

If you need horizontal spacing between the icons, I used the underline symbol (3 x "_") and set the font color to white.