Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror1.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	968  

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:53 PM   #22
Registered Member

ok didn't read your post thoroughly... that makes sence....

the car that has some of the nicest mirrors i know is the opel vectra B

it's got a drag quoefficient of 0.29... not bad... although the previous moddel had more converntional mirrors that where jioned to the side of the car, and somewhat continued the angle of the windshield... same drag figures for that car though...

i don't know how much for looks this setup is, but given the overall attention to aero i don't think they'll hurt

still better looking that a lot of other designs imho

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:47 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mira View Post
Consider the front end of some torpedos:
That's fascinating, it could simplify matters to call into service the bottom of a cylindrical container...

I tried a tiny 1.5" convex mirror inboard, and it did the job satisfactorily. I found it even better when mounted further up the A pillar toward my head, so my strategy is changing-- I think I'll mount an inboard mirror for visibility's sake, then have a doppelganger outside to deflect unwanted attention.

Idea 1- cut the profile of the stock mirror out of it's housing entirely, leaving a thin foil (no pun intended) shaped deceptively like a standard mirror but minimizing drag. Rely on the optical illusion of seeing the road ahead through the mirror, or a clever paint scheme inside the housing, to make it look authentic. Chance of success is thin...

Idea 2- Make as aerodynamic a shape possible to protrude from the side of the car, and cover the tapered section with mirrored vinyl to give the impression of an unorthodox but undeniably present mirror.

I think the latter sounds more likely, even if... unlikely.
edenstrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mira View Post
I like your mirror design, it's very similar to what I thought of when I considered how to do my mirrors (but didn't because there is a lot of lower hanging fruit than the mirror)
This is a good point. My time would be better spent elsewhere on the car. Right now I'm taken with the action of building the mirror, but it may fall down the list as other projects start. I have driven with no mirror for a stretch, and it's slightly quieter though, which is sweet.

I was drawing some side skirts in photoshop.. when trying to close off the backside of the front wheel wells I was dissatisifed. To account for suspension movement the gap is just too big, especially with the way I drive on occasion.

My idea, then, is to make an airdam to close off the backside of the wheel well, but attached to the hub. I think I need to draw this one... no, I'll start a new thread specific to that modification, in the name of organization
edenstrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenstrang View Post
I tried a tiny 1.5" convex mirror inboard, and it did the job satisfactorily. I found it even better when mounted further up the A pillar toward my head, so my strategy is changing-- I think I'll mount an inboard mirror for visibility's sake, then have a doppelganger outside to deflect unwanted attention.
That's a really good idea. Make a COZX2 style boattail for the outside technically within minimum government specifications, but for your actual driving install permanent inside mirrors, for example something like the "wink" mirrors. At least until your government starts allowing more fuel efficient options.

Judging on screen size, I'd imagine an internal LCD reversing camera wouldn't use more than say, 10-20 Watts, and would be the most elegant solution.
Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #26
Registered Member

A request to the mods: could the above three posts be transferred to the front skirt thread? Thx.

Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote