Air Dam Height - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Air Dam Height

I am new to the site and have just made a grill block out of aluminum and i am planning to make an air dam. How far off the ground or how far down from my car should i make it?

So far just from reading all of your post i get 38.8 mpg, i used to get 25 so thanks

73challenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Registered Member

it all depends on what's under the car and what you're trying to achieve.

an airdam is generally not considdered an optimal solution. it pushes the air asside, and most likely also below the car, and that all takes energy. however in some cases it can help. either because it prevents almost all air from getting under the car, like on racecars. or because it's big enough to shield something but not add signifficant frontal area... in wich case it's probably only a few inches high

you might want to look into underbody paneling instead, that might be more difficuly to make but also more effective.

if you do go for an airdam i'd say use it to shield something that would otherwise cause drag, like the engine and suspention components.

look underneath the car and try to see what hangs out below the line of the bumper and try to shield that.

again if you're looking for a real improvement and you have enough material available you might want to look at an underbody panel below the front bumper. afterall it's better to gently guide the air where you want it to go, than forcefully prevent it from going where you don't want it.

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

ironically enough, just when i'm thinking about an underbody fairings, i might get my hands on a rubber airdam extention form an opel corsa... might fit my car with a little work, so perhaps i might try that as well.

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

how thick of aluminum would i need to make a underbody panel?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73challenger View Post
how thick of aluminum would i need to make a underbody panel?
I would go with as thin as possible as long as you can safely attach it underneath the car somewhere. No sense it adding extra weight.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
Registered Member

2-3mm or 1/8" aluminum would be more than fine. I would use coraplast or cardboard first to get the correct setup before you invest in Al.
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
Registered Member

I hear everyone talking about coraplast, I dont want to sound like an idiot but was is that?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
Supporting Member

73challenger -

I think that Co ZX2 has used a 1/16" thick plastic 8*4' sheet fromHome Depot, so that's another option. Like with the Coroplast, keep it away from the hot exhaust manifold/piping.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
Registered Member

73challenger
Don't worry, it took me a long time to figure it out on my own.
Corogated plastic = Coroplast

It refers to the construction style that normal cardboard boxes use, only done in a plastic material. Sign shops, craft stores, and places like the Home Depot may carry it, but don't be surprised if you get a funny look when you ask for it.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #10
Registered Member

Right now I like thin plywood best. Home Depot etc. sell 2.7 mm Lauan plywood. That's less than 1/8 inch. Curves when you want it to. Also sell 5.5 mm. if you want it stiffer. Plenty airflow so I'm not worried about rotting. Or you can prime with oil base house paint where needed.

Coroplast + duct tape = goes together as fast as you can plan and cut the material. BUT you'll be repairing duct tape problems weekly. Sometimes daily. And leaves a nasty mess after you pull off the tape.

For the coroplast thing I had this past summer I did better with sheet metal screws thru the plastic into little wood strips. Or into drywall corner bead as a cheap "angle iron" type stock. They make a flexible corner bead for people making arches.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote