Commercial aero wheel covers. Neato. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Aerodynamics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnessspirit View Post
I don't know how we could replicate that for cars..... Most steel wheels on cars don't provide a very deep dish to attach the inner ring to. I would think that it wouldn't be so bad to make something with a fairly rigid outer edge that clips onto the lip of the rim kind of like a wheel weight. Then you could use a light flexible plastic dish. Then you could even make them dished if you want, and then you can fit them over most aluminum wheels, which would be ideal. Weight savings and aerodynamics.

Maybe I should rush to the patent office.....

Not only that, but I can give you three more good reasons to use those on heavy duty trucks instead of the solid metal ones.

Those leave a window so you don't have to remove your hubcap for inspections. A lot of trucks use hub odometers or have indicators on the hubs for axle oil level.

Solid metal hubcaps scratch aluminum wheels.

Aluminum wheels save you almost 200 lbs of weight per axle, and in the trucking industry, little savings add up. So, again, why put metal hubcaps on and add to the weight, since most of the reason for the metal hubcaps is to make those steel wheels tolerable to look at. Those little plastic things weigh under a pound versus 4 lbs for metal "moonie" hubcaps. 8 axles on truck and trailer not including the steering axle, two hubcaps per axle, that is 100 lbs more of unwanted weight that could have been cargo or fuel savings.
Those style caps/covers are widely used in the dirt racing world here in the US., but for a different reason. On dirt, they keep clay clods/buildup from getting lodged within the rim. They're fabbed out of aluminum, and weigh well under a pound. They're easy to attach as well. Takes about 20 seconds and one screw.

VanWylder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnessspirit View Post
As a diesel mechanic for over 10 years, I can say with little reserve that you don't have a clue what you are talking about. When I was still in that industry, one of the main focuses was methods to save even a small fraction more fuel, and when you are putting 20,000 miles a month or more on your trucks, those savings add up.
Bingo! At 3-6mpg, an increase of 1-5% saves an owner operator (or company) a sizable sum in any given year. Its the same reason sail panels and the fold out tail fins are going on lots of trailers these days. Create a more efficient passage through the air (less drag), and those things pay for themselves pretty quickly. It all adds up, especially when you're buying a 100-150 gallons of diesel on a fill-up.

VanWylder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:55 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWylder View Post
Those style caps/covers are widely used in the dirt racing world here in the US., but for a different reason. On dirt, they keep clay clods/buildup from getting lodged within the rim. They're fabbed out of aluminum, and weigh well under a pound. They're easy to attach as well. Takes about 20 seconds and one screw.
This is relevant to my interests! Got a link?

I did a search but what I found was for bead lock wheels.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #14
Registered Member

If you look at pictures of Charles Lindbergh's airplane, the "Spirit of St Louis," you will note the wheel covers. They were made of cloth, and were literally sewn onto the sidewalls of the tires.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #15
Registered Member

Just attach these to your stock hub caps (just make sure you don't put your wheels out of balance) http://www.webstaurantstore.com/16-a...m/407TP16.html
Dr. Jerryrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:00 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Easier said than done. I bought a set a couple years ago, clear-coated them, and even modeled them to see what they'd look like.

They fit my wheels perfectly, though they are horrifically ugly with that blackwall...I should model one with a whitewall.

Anyway, the hard part is attaching them. I figure maybe I could glue/bolt them to a cheap set of whatever wheelcovers, but their retention systems tend to be barely sufficient without the extra weight of pizza pans. In the 1980s some GMs with wire wheelcovers came with a bracket that attaches with the lug studs and adapting that system would probably be best.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to BamZipPow
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
This is relevant to my interests! Got a link?

I did a search but what I found was for bead lock wheels.
How about these non-bead lock ones? They have them fer 13" and 15" steel rims.
Welcome To Aero Race Wheels ~ Estherville, Iowa

Where you can find them fer sale.
Welcome To Aero Race Wheels ~ Estherville, Iowa
Old 06-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to BamZipPow
Talking

You can buy these at Summit Racing...
http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...rder=Ascending
Old 06-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #19
Registered Member

Ohhh, pretty.

They say steel wheels, but I don't think they mean stealies. Aero's racing wheels look like aluminum, but are actually steel. SO these might fit any type of wheel.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote