Complete under belly pan on 02 Q45 - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
Registered Member

[QUOTE=mcrews;145843
BUT TO STAY ON TOPIC.......
for imjustplayin to state that 32mpg is "so what" is absurd (and misinformed).
Forums don't require 'proof' to make statements but need to be backed up or withdrawn when challenged.[/QUOTE]

You're right on that mcrews. What you did is simply wonderful and needs to be encouraged.
There's only one thing that's missing to 'evaluate' the 32mpg: I'm very curious to know what the mpg was before the modification in approx. the same circumstances?

i-DSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #12

i-DSi, thanks for the props.
Maybe I should link these step by step mods together. I use the same strtch of hwy and go 7 miles up and 7 miles backseveral time at 60 on cruise control.
Here is the first mod with the results:

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....&highlight=q45

here is the next mod:

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....&highlight=q45

so to answer your question: Before the current mods - I was at a best of 27mpg on roadtrips this included coasting down hills w/ engine on, driving smart but not true hypemiling, and 255/45/18 instead of 245 and PSI at 44.(not tests).
after front grille block, and full underbelly pan and seams sealed(just for the run) I am at 32mpg.

I have not been on a road trip(50 miles+) for the last two months. But I am driving from Sacramento Ca to LA Ca in Jan.

MyQ45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
so to answer your question: Before the current mods - I was at a best of 27mpg on roadtrips this included coasting down hills w/ engine on, driving smart but not true hypemiling, and 255/45/18 instead of 245 and PSI at 44.(not tests).
after front grille block, and full underbelly pan and seams sealed(just for the run) I am at 32mpg.

I have not been on a road trip(50 miles+) for the last two months. But I am driving from Sacramento Ca to LA Ca in Jan.
Ok, so you didn't really testdrive your car just before the underbelly pan and just after. The 27mpg you're referring to is not a testdrive.
You will be able to tell any reallife experience when traveling from Sacramento to LA. I'm really looking forward to this. Please keep us posted.
I was curious what a complete uderbellypan only could do. My Civic has this standard, just as 4 wheeldeflectors (I added grillblock, see my gasslog). So I guess the influence of bellypan must be really noticeable or Honda wouldn't manufacture them like this.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #14

If you understand A-B-A testing you realize it is almost impossible to run that method with a full underbelly pan because you have to put it on within minutes and make the next run. I dont have access to a shop lift and I have sealed portions of the under belly pan to eliminate almost all seams and gaps created by the panels.

But my numbers are from the previous two tests.

I refered to the two previuos posts, you will see results for each mod.
I do have an established baseline.

12-10-09 my first post. (I have documented A-B-A testing prior to posting.)
these two items Upper Grille block and lower side block, pushed me over 28.5mpg at 62mph. I had gotten 27 prior.

12-11-09 Infiniti has under belly panels but they are not perfectly flat.
Also since I installed the IMPUL body kit, it left a gap of 2 inches. I found some gray abs w/ dipples
I went from 28.5 mpg at 62mph to 30.8mpg at 62mph

then, this post.

So I ran the same course at aproximately the same time to achieve a similar ambient temp.

I ran the course 4 times. 2 up and 2 back. It was wetter and cooler than the DOCUMENTED runs for the previous tests.

I will post an the 18th after my trip.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
Registered Member

What you need to understand is you need to control for variables, and a very big one is temperature... What was the ambient temperature and intake air temperature before and after.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
It's incredibly difficult to do decently controlled testing without a big budget and a proper lab - and then the lab testing is often imperfect in duplicating real-world conditions.

The best way, IMO, is to keep a continuing gaslog, do one mod/technique at a time, note all conditions before and after, and test that one mod during regular driving for at least a few tanks. If the gaslog shows a trend of change then I say the mod is likely pretty good. The only way to be sure is really long-term, but who wants to drive a couple years between trying something new?

There's a decent thread on how to do more immediate A-B-A experiments as accurately as possible:
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=2
It is quite a bit of work and investment.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
What you need to understand is you need to control for variables, and a very big one is temperature... What was the ambient temperature and intake air temperature before and after.
I find this humorus.......What happened to "your mod doesn't work CAFE is 31."

There seem to non-productive posters on most forums and I have found the one here.

You're in Northern Ca...(which scares me) why don't you pull all the temp charts for hwy 80 between sacto and roseville and show me the 20-30 degree spread's in the noon hour.....

If this was the NICO forum, you'd be MAXNIX. He constantly makes random posts that REALLY don't help.

PS to get to that part of the hyway is (here comes the surprise....) the same distance from my house!!!!! so the car is equally warmed up by the time it gets there

Frankly, and I hope you can tell by my tone, I can't believe your two posts. They reek of rudeness. Do me a favor, don't post on my threads. Your foolish assumption of what I understand is just that..... foolish.

Posters like you drive away noobes.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:22 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Don't be too put-off by the skepticism. It's a necessary part of what most people do here, even when looking at their own ideas/experiences.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
Registered Member

@Mcrews, I am now truly amazed at the work you have done on this car.

Great job!
rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
The best way, IMO, is to keep a continuing gaslog, do one mod/technique at a time, note all conditions before and after, and test that one mod during regular driving for at least a few tanks. If the gaslog shows a trend of change then I say the mod is likely pretty good. The only way to be sure is really long-term, but who wants to drive a couple years between trying something new?
Yes, man, I like it: 'who want to drive a couple years between trying something new?'.
It's what happened to me, just yesterday. I've only started with my grill block experiment, emptying now the second complete tank.
Yesterday I was surfing around on the Michelin site to see what was told about my tyres and there I found a higher recommended pressure specific for my car than the Honda one (Honda: 2.1 front/2.4 rear bar ; Michelin 2.4 front/2.6 rear, if I remember well). I adjusted immediately my pressure and my fuel consumption decreased from 5,7 to 5,6 l/100 km on the dashboard. So now it's hard to tell what caused this: traffic was a bit better/less snow on roads/grill block/tyre pressure/other fuelbrand (!very cheap stuff->first time I try this)...
Yeah, yeah, controlling the variables...
Mcrews: don't be upset by what seems negative reactions. I'm convinced more than 95% of the readers/members have deep respect. Some might even be jealous.