I finally decided to try some aerodymic modifications on my motorcycle, a 1982 Yamaha Vision ( 550 cc V-twin with shaft drive). I have had a personal best tank of 66mpg and ususally average in the mid to high 50's with just a small handlebar fairing. After a little research and some encouragement from Redyaris I decided to add some saddlebags and a tailsection/Kammback to help reduce the drag off the back of the motorcycle. Today I added some coroplast panels to the sides. I'm going to ride it down to Carmel tomorrow morning to observe the Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge and ride the course. I probably will add a full fender to the front wheel once I figure out how I'm going to do it. Any suggestions are most welcome.
all the best, L&S
Very cool. I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my electric bike to gain some more range on a charge. What is the black plastic on the back? Do you have a better photo of that? It looks like the kam/boat tail idea a bit but I can't see the end of it in the photo.
How were you thinking of boxing in the front wheel? Coroplast? Connected to the fender?
Keep it up, I want some inspiration to tackle my project next.
Thanks ! The tail section I added is made from a plastic trash receptacle that I painted, attached with bungee cords and made a hinged cover for the opening. It was a good width and is tapered at the base. The handle slots were perfect for the bungee cords. I think I will need to add more to the tail as the gap between the rider and the tail is too long ; at free way sppeds the lid would be opened from the turbulent air behind me. I had to add another bungee cord to keep the lid closed. Attached a photo of the rear.
all the best L&S
I started with my next generation of aero mods after visiting with fellow Vetter Challenge competitor Alan Smith. He's done some great mods on his Ninja 250 and got 93 mpg in the Challenge. I made some cardboard mockups for a fully faired front fender, a longer windscreen and mounting base for a longer tailsection.
Hi , The latest update on the Vision: 1) I did a tune-up: changed plugs, cleaned air filter, checked valves, tried leaner mainjets but switched back to stock as it ran like crap.
2) I left the sidepanels off so that I would access the carbs and I trimmed up the rear of my full coverage front fender. This seemed to help the handling in windy conditions.
3) I removed my stock mirrors and replaced them with some mirrors I made with some round convex stick-on mirrors and some steel strapping.
I just filled up today and it was my second best tankfill mpg average ever: 63 mpg. I had been getting high 50 mpg tanks since starting the aeromods, up from low to mid 50 tanks without aero mods. Things are looking up.
al the best , L&S