Need help with under tray design - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Need help with under tray design

Hello All, I have a race car that I'm about to add a flat undertray, rear diffuser and side skirts to for improved aerodynamics. I've run into an issue and I'm unsure what the best approach to take is. The first section of undertray can run flat and level with the ground for the first 4 feet or so from the front splitter going towards the rear ending just after the front tires. I can shape this to allow an opening for the tires and then it will run from side to side forming a 90 degree junction with the side skirts. But the section following this from just after the front tires going rearward to the diffuser need to be about 1.5 inches lower to clear the exhaust. This will still leave me with adequate ground clearance since I'm only adding 1/16 of aluminum. But in doing so I'll have a 1.5" height difference between the two pieces or a step going from side to side. And I can't lower the front section any more to make it even. The options I'm thinking about are to:
A. have the pieces overlap a bit and leave a the gap between them open
b. put a 90 degree piece to close the gap, this creates a 1.5 step facing forward which will create turbulence and some drag
c. put a piece that creates and angle sloping downward from front to rear. I could make this almost any length/angle. My concern here is that air hitting this will create some lift which is opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish
d. Put a screen or mesh in the gap, Not sure this would accomplish anything.

Any suggestions on what the best approach.
I've attached a sketch to help clarify what I'm describing

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	undertray.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	2647  

CMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Registered Member

Parallel to the airflow, screen can come close to being as effective as a solid. Some ecomodders have used it as undertray material as it can be formed around various undercarriage bumps, and you don't have to worry about trapping too much exhaust heat.

A sloped piece of screen connecting the two pieces should give some of the benefit of the solid without as much potential of lift.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote