Suggestions for My Jetta's Rear End? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #11
Registered Member
 
MetroMPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,223
Country: United States
Keep in mind that nascar may not be the ideal place to look for aero mods that will improve fuel economy. They're using aero to generate downforce (reduce lift) more than anything else, and that comes at the expense of fuel economy.

E.G. the extreme angle rear deck spoilers are meant to reduce rear lift at high speed, not smooth out airflow. How many solar racers have you seen with big spoilers on the back?

If you were going to modify the deck lid, I'd go more for a horizontal extension, or raising the deck height, rather than a spoiler.
__________________

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 81
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
If you were going to modify the deck lid, I'd go more for a horizontal extension, or raising the deck height, rather than a spoiler.
Okay, good. This stuff is all new to me. Makes sense that the deck spoilers don't improve air flow sticking straigh up as they do. So I guess those type of spoilers on regular cars are mainly just for looks, huh?

How about the roof extension on top?
__________________

__________________
northboundtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
 
trebuchet03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 812
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by northboundtrain View Post
So I guess those type of spoilers on regular cars are mainly just for looks, huh?

How about the roof extension on top?
1) Ya, for the most part
2) Yes - that should help flow separate cleanly
__________________
Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.


Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 50
Country: United States
Flashback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
2) Yes - that should help flow separate cleanly

This made me think of two treatments AMC used on the Javelins.

In 1969 they had the Big Bad Javelin option which included a roof-mounted hoop-style "wing".

When they changed the cars for 1971, the trailing edge of the roof now had a little lip. Here are a few photos of the 1971's roof lip.

The question is, were they merely cosmetic or was some real science involved?
Dynamically Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
 
trebuchet03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 812
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamically Aero View Post
This made me think of two treatments AMC used on the Javelins.

In 1969 they had the Big Bad Javelin option which included a roof-mounted hoop-style "wing".

When they changed the cars for 1971, the trailing edge of the roof now had a little lip. Here are a few photos of the 1971's roof lip.

The question is, were they merely cosmetic or was some real science involved?
Hrmmm.... the spoiler on this one looks rather pronounced. But the roof winglet/lip doesn't look like it protrudes too far. The question is -- why would you want to separate flow at that point with that large spoiler?

This seems easy enough to test with cardboard and tufts - perhaps a little oil (thick) on the rear windshield.
__________________

__________________
Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.


Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Concerning methods of measurement Flatland2D General Fuel Topics 3 09-17-2005 11:04 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.