Temporary Grille block - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Temporary Grille block

I have a road trip coming up and I want to take my truck. I wanna see what kind of Fuel economy it can pull off when its driven like a grandma, gotta bring that average of 13 mpg up a little

Will saran wrap and masking tape make a good temporary grille block?

As you can see my truck has a gapping grille and bumper nostrils. Think its worth it to plug it up for my trip? The trips 530 miles one way.

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

Find some roadside "coraplast" signs and use that...easy to cut and will hold shape better at speed. You can attach wo grill with zip ties. Seems like it would be pretty easy with that grill...either inside the grill or outside the grill. I have four blocked off...not so cold in San Antonio:

2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

Coroplast is good.
I think Saran wrap won't hold up very well. If it rips and goes into the a/c condenser or radiator it could clog up the fins.

Consider using coroplast or some other flat sheet material over the front of the grill rather than behind it. Try covering the two outer segments on each side, leaving the inner ones open. My reasoning is this way you have a smooth front surface, better aero than the segmented recess thing you'd get with cover panels behind the grill. Also better to have the edges blocked and let the air flow away to the sides and hood. Blocking the center is probably worse - air would end up banging around in front of the truck and maybe enter thru the remaining open vents anyway.

Better check to see what's behind the open locations - radiator has to get air, and depending on where you are maybe the a/c doesn't need it in January.

You can test ideas with cardboard and duct tape, just to make sure it gets enough cooling.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
If you are getting 13mpg then a lot of heat from that burnt fuel has to come out of that radiator so watch the engine temp if you are blocking off the radiator!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Saran wrap might work, but don't use masking tape. I'd suggest something stronger than saran wrap though. and definitely suggest something other than masking tape. duct tape will hold but don't leave it on more than a day or it'll leave adhesive poo behind.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

I'm using a couple layers of clear packaging tape at the moment. It seems to work well enough. After all, it is only temporary.
Skwyre7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

on a road trip aero will be your number 1 concern. grille block is a good start. for temporary solution i'd suggest cardboard with duct tape or zip ties. mounting on the inside should be fine. the grille doesn't appear to be recessed all that much.

A massive air dam would also be a good idea as it looks like you have some serious clearance there.

also if your good with wood working, fabbing up a boat tail to attach to the bed should be quite easy. check out user BigDave for more pickup inspiration.

and make sure those tires are maxxed out psi.
charlesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
Registered Member

What I use is carpet film, the stuff you use to keep your carpet from getting dirty when you are moving or something. It's clear, quick, comes in a wide sheet, doesn't leave a residue behind after it is removed, and the adhesive on the back is not so strong that it will take off paint.
tor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Registered Member

look around and see if anyone sells a grille block for your truck. I saw them all the time living in ID where there's lots of cold weather and lots of highway driving. Looked like a padded vinyl cover with one or two vents you could open up to allow air in.

You really won't need much opening to get enough air in, especially if it's cold outside. Trucks have an oversized cooling system compared with a car to begin with as well. Wouldn't surprise me if you could block off all but two or so of the openings, assuming temps in the mid 30's.

GasSavers_BluEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEyes View Post
look around and see if anyone sells a grille block for your truck. I saw them all the time living in ID where there's lots of cold weather and lots of highway driving. Looked like a padded vinyl cover with one or two vents you could open up to allow air in.

You really won't need much opening to get enough air in, especially if it's cold outside. Trucks have an oversized cooling system compared with a car to begin with as well. Wouldn't surprise me if you could block off all but two or so of the openings, assuming temps in the mid 30's.
yea ive seen those in desil truck before, run better when warm.

my truck gets ok mileage in the interstate, i got like 27 goign to chicago and back. yet aroudn town i can get 28-29... is a 4banger 5speed so its got the optimum engien /tranny setup. hovers right at 2900-3K rpm at 65mph which si where i kept it. i did have 4 sandbags in the bed tho so that wasnt helping much and i had to floor it on several occasions (tollways, traffic clogs, several onramps etc) so flooring+weight=not good for FE. I know if I were to add a toneau cover it would improve 1-2mpg but i dont have enough funds to spend on the materials to make one... yet....plan to lower it another 2 inches(total 4/4 drop) mostly for looks but can only help FE

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote