Honda weighs safety cuts to qualify for CDN efficiency rebate - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
Registered Member

But what will they do w/ all those parts that aren't FE friendly? Taking a loss because of shortsighted policy isn't acceptable in the automotive world. Gotta wiggle their way out...

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

That is such a small difference in gas millage that they have plenty of options.

I like the taller final gear option best. But small aerodynamics improvements would be enough too.

I wouldn't want to take out the safety features because they could get bad press for Honda.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #13
Registered Member

1.4L vs. 1.5L -- duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I stick to my previous interpretation: they're just being tools.
Sounds like they need to do some re-tooling. Trying to fool the Canadian Public -- that the difference between the two vehicles are only safety items -- is a complete smack in the face.

Kia seems to make money this deal without sacrificing any safety item (plus a better warranty).

However, as I think about it, it's cheaper for a company to remove a bunch of items from a product than add something new/different to something already in a market (when they miss the mark on a Government Rebate). Conversely, why the heck don't they just import the smaller engine and make the bigger engine an OPTION? North America always gets the bloated engine mandate.

You know my feelings on making airbags, ABS, and stability control standard

Anyways, Statistics:
The UK: 1.4L makes 82 hp, 0-60 in 12-seconds, and would easily make the rebate.
North America: 1.5L / generates 109 hp / about 9 or 10-seconds to 60, and misses the mark.

So a small reduction in displacement would do it, and the powertrains are a direct "FIT".
Old 04-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #14
Registered Member

That is pretty sad. I never thought of Honda as saintly, but they're wallowing with GM on this one.

The engine that everybody outside of North America gets is pretty sweet... a two-valve, two-plug 1.3L inline 4. Presumably a 'wedge' head, at least as famously efficient as the 4-valve 'pent-roof'. The specs from the Japanese web site: 24 km/l, 86 hp @ 5600 rpm, and 119 N-m @ 2800 rpm. The 4-valve VTEC both Canada and the US are stuck with gets 20.4 km/l, 110 hp @ 5800 rpm, and 143 N-m @ 4800 rpm. This is like a CX vs EX civic, but they don't give you that choice any more. You must take the shiny one, which makes it all the less attractive.

To be honest, I was really looking forward to the Fit once I heard it was coming here, to the point of buying one new. But then they announced the single-engine sub-40 highway mileage, and that was that. There's supposed to be a mileage version someday, but I'm not holding my breath.
GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #15
*shrug*

I'm still not sure why they didn't put an r15 or something such in there. I guess that would mean building a new engine though,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #16
Driving on E

as much as I love honda, and my Fit, this is nothing more than political posturing by Honda Canada.

let's look at the facts here.

The Fit is NOT the Yaris... the Fit is a four door, and the Yaris is an optional four door. In other words, it comes in a two door version. If I had to guess, the two door version is the one that met the requirements for the rebates.

Secondly, the Fit in Japan (known as the Jazz) has an optional 1.3L engine that gets considerably better gas mileage than the 1.5L engine here. An easy solution would be to offer this engine in Canada, the US, etc. Honda could easily make up a marketing campaign saying that their 1.3L engine gets better mileage and more power than Toyota's 1.5L... oh, and it's safer too.

What Honda continues to forget is that people who buy vehicles like the Fit don't care about horsepower. They care about utility, gas mileage, emissions, etc. If they wanted horsepower they would buy an integra, or a dodge charger. I'd be willing to bet that if the 1.3L version of the Fit were offered in America/Canada that it would sell just as well as the other models.

Oh, here's another option. In my perfect society where people actually CHOOSE their own level of safety, Honda would offer a sidecurtain airbag/ABS upgrade to any vehicle. The base model would not have it.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
What Honda continues to forget is that people who buy vehicles like the Fit don't care about horsepower. They care about utility, gas mileage, emissions, etc.
Precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
If they wanted horsepower they would buy an integra, or a dodge charger.
ouch, in the same sentence...
Old 04-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #18
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
ouch, in the same sentence...
Eh, I think you're right. Putting an integra and a dodge charger in the same category isn't really accurate.

The Charger is a giant monster of a vehicle with a V6 (optional Hemi) powerplant.

The Integra, on the other hand, is still a 4 cylinder.

When we rented the Charger last year I did notice that it got about 30mpg on the highway. I was surprised to say the least.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #19
*shrug*

You just need to convert the teg to stick, rick, I've heard of people getting in the 40s mixed with stick tegs,

Anyway, matt is right. I think marketing the 1.2 with the CVT would be a good move on honda's part. It would cost more, but get much better mileage, and they could say something about putting the technology that makes hybrids great into the hands of average people.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #20
Supporting Member

RH77 -

The "new" Integra, the RSX, still got 26 MPG city. Pretty great for a performance coupe. I think the Acuras may get the best of the luxury car MPG (if you don't count the Toyota hybrids).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote