Yet another reason why long commutes are BAD! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Automotive News, Articles and Products
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2007, 08:33 AM   #11
kps
Registered Member

Some time ago I lived about 500 yards from where I worked for a couple of years.

When they moved a few miles away, I called my car insurance company. My rate went down, because I now qualified for a "short commute" discount.

kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:54 AM   #12
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Hmmm, maybe I should move... I'm at a 90 minute commute, 65 miles to my job. The 3 hours out of my day really sucks.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #13
Supporting Member

theclencher -

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
cfq: Too bad about the long commute. Maybe you should stop halfway, get out and do some stretches.
On the way to work I usually combine errands and stops, so in one direction it is usually not onnnnnnnnnne longggggggggggggg runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. I try to go off-peak, so I usually don't see the worst of it.

On the way home it is a different story (now I know why people had martinis when they got home in the 1950's). I may change my route to spend more time on the streets and thereby avoid the most stressfull part of my drive (trading time for stress). It's too bad I don't have a Prius (want to get at least 200K miles out of my current car), because the street part would be ideal for regenerative breaking and auto engine off/on. I'll bet DiamondLarry could get 100+ MPG on the street portion of my commute.

I have prided myself in being able to take alot of punishment over the years (must be an Ethan Frome thing), but this commute is maybe 10 miles beyond my current limit of stamina. But, I still have it better than others on my team, so I shouldn't complain.

Quote:
repete: Working as little as possible is a laudible goal! I learned the hard way, that all the dedication and loyalty and sincere effort and skill you give to a company means squat; if you aren't kissing the right *** they'll throw you out without thinking twice about it. No more!
I have never had any illusions about my work. I saw all the bad stuff happen to my Dad, so my eye was already jaundiced. I know it will happen to me somewhere along the line, so I hope I am mentally prepared for the blow.

Quote:
I love the part in the story about the killer commute in order to have a "dream home"- another freaking breeder/consumer that can't see the forest through the trees! LOL
No breeding here. Our home is very nice, but it is the size of a postage stamp, so there isn't any room (or $$$) for kids even if we wanted them.

We looked at homes that were within bicycle distance, but we couldn't afford them.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote