Tesla battery still at 94% after 228,000 miles - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2017, 08:32 AM   #11
Registered Member

Most of the model S's already on the road have free supercharging for life, so they actually hold thier value better than the new ones which only come with 1000 free miles using the Tesla superchargers.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #12
Registered Member

Tonight I'm having a spin in a P100D with ludicrous mode, I'm pretty excited to say the least.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:10 PM   #13
Registered Member

Similar story with a Chevy volt, 400000 miles and still going strong on its original battery.

2012 Chevy Volt has now crossed 400,000 miles, range remains steady

Old 09-11-2017, 12:32 AM   #14
Registered Member

Tesloop, a City to City transport service running out of LA (ride sharing like a small bus) uses Teslas. Their first car, a model S, has just done 300,000 miles in two years. Total running costs were $10,294 for fuel and maintenance which included a replacement for a damaged headlight at $3,500. They estimated it would have cost them $86,000 for an equivalent ICE car. At the current rate, they will have done 1,200,000 miles before the battery/drivetrain eight year/unlimited mileage warranty expires, in 2023.
The fuel costs were virtually zero because they used the Tesla Supercharger system.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #15
Registered Member

Yea that's the same one on the previous pages. Another example from Finland with 250000 miles has seen a 7% drop in degradation, not bad considering the extreme winters they have V's the climate in California as per the other hi mileage example. The owner has seen just 20 miles lost per charge compared with when the car was new.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
Tesloop, a City to City transport service running out of LA (ride sharing like a small bus) uses Teslas. Their first car, a model S, has just done 300,000 miles in two years. Total running costs were $10,294 for fuel and maintenance which included a replacement for a damaged headlight at $3,500. They estimated it would have cost them $86,000 for an equivalent ICE car. At the current rate, they will have done 1,200,000 miles before the battery/drivetrain eight year/unlimited mileage warranty expires, in 2023.
The fuel costs were virtually zero because they used the Tesla Supercharger system.
I remember reading that article on Jalopnik about Tesloop, and I believe they were comparing the Tesla Model S to a Lincoln Town Car. Car And Driver did a 40,000mile long term test on a Tesla Model S and they were only getting 15,000 miles out of one set of tires, due to the low profile rims and the heavy nature of the car (5,010lbs). A set of tires go for $1,350 on a Tesla; so if my math is correct; they had to spend $27,000 on tires alone. The wheels also tend to bend, crack and damage easily which is not covered by warranty. I'm assuming the Lincoln Town Car rolls on way cheaper rubber and lasts longer as well. I like Tesla, but that Tesloop claim seems like BS. Car And Driver had 21" summer wheels and 19" winter rims; and both rims required constant replacement. Sometimes a tire would blow up after a 1,000 miles, also damaging the rim.

"We averaged 69MPGe, well below the EPA's 93 combined MPGe. With electricity at a national average of 13 cents per kWh, running our Tesla cost the same as driving a 38-mpg car with gas at $2.40 per gallon" -Car And Driver April '17
Old 09-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #17
Registered Member

Can't see how an EV could cost more or the same than an ice. I've just been through my first set of tyres at 12,000 miles, and that's in a very light car. They are over $520 for x 2. I just filled up and it cost the equivalent of $82, I should get around 400 miles for that. There's so much that variables running an EV, especially considering the ways you pay for electric, everyone is on a different tariff, I might pay more than my neighbour per kwh for all I know.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #18
Registered Member

Summer performance tires aren't likely to last long on any car.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:19 AM   #19
Registered Member

I downloaded the Tesloop press pack and their receipts for servicing. No mention of tyres being replaced by Tesla. The only give details of the differences between their Model S and a comparable ICE car. Tyres needing replace are common to both. I don't consider tyres a maintenance item. They are a consumable. Tyres are a common factor. Like Road Tax, Insurance etc.
There is no mention of the Tesloop car having both sets of wheels, hardly any need for winter tyres in Southern California, especially the region they are operating in.
As for Car and Driver's tyre wear. They are testing the car to its extremes. Performance testing, handling testing and the like. Hardly the same for a limo, driving paying customers around. I had a chauffeur driven Mercedes S class for a day recently, and it was driven so smoothly and sedately the tyres would last for ever!
I would imagine that a company with a fleet of cars, like Tesloop, would have a contract with a tyre supplier, to supply and fit tyres as required. And at a lot better price than Tesla would charge you or I.