No mpg for combined partial/complete fuel-ups? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

No mpg for combined partial/complete fuel-ups?

Is it correct to say that Fuelly does not calculate the combined mpg for a partial and the next complete fuel-up?

For example, if I first partially fuel up after 250 miles with 20 gallons and then later fuel up after additional 350 miles completely with 40 gallons I would of course like to know what the mpg was for all of the 600 miles.

Is Fuelly not capable of such a calculation, or do I just not see it?

ld-desertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:13 PM   #2
Registered Member

Fuelly can only calculate your economy if it knows the exact distance and fuel amount used. A partial fuel up is when you don't fill the tank to the top, so as long as you fill up on the one after, it should still work out ok.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

You have four fill ups on the one day, covering about 1,000 miles. Surely that's not right. Might be the problem for Fuelly.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:19 AM   #4
Registered Member

When you consider there might be multiple partial fills before the full one, the chance for a program error goes up. And then some people would want that number, and others wouldn't.

The partial fills are included in the averages. Under the basic stats on the vehicle page, there is a custom stat button where you have average MPG for the last month or longer posted.

If you still want the partials plus full number, do what I use to do. Don't enter the partials into Fuelly. Just add their miles and gallons to the full fill entry when it occurs.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:01 AM   #5
Registered Member

Seems all partial fill ups would be completely excluded in MPG calculations. There is just no way to know the amount of fuel used. You would only know the amount of fuel dispensed.

You would still want to log a partial fill up for the $ amount and to have odometer which will be used in the next full fill up MPG calculation.
jakedaugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

They are included for life time averages, since that is just using total fuel used and total miles driven in the system. As partials, they just can't be used for any tank averages.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:22 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
They are included for life time averages, since that is just using total fuel used and total miles driven in the system. As partials, they just can't be used for any tank averages.
trollbait - you're correct. It would makes sense that partial fill ups could be used in the lifetime average. Thank you for pointing that out.
jakedaugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:53 PM   #8
Registered Member

Unless you are short of cash I don't see any point in a partial fill up, although I know some people feel that running about with a full tank is just carrying extra weight. In that case I'll let you off.
I fill my tank to the top every time. The last time I did partial top ups was back in the 1980, when I had a 68 Austin with a leaky fuel tank joint round the centre of the tank!
Old 01-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hi all,

A new member here on Fuelly. Just yesterday I found out about this partial fuel-up and Fuelly need to calculate from full tank.

I very rarely fill up to full (When I filled to full is when I filled all the way until the cap to close the tank.. eg. all the way to the maximum possible).
Most of time I fill $40.00 only, reason is because in New-Zealand we have fuel discount of 6 cents per litre when filling minimum of $40. More than $40 still getting same discount 6cents so to maximise I just keep filling $40 and accumulate the points for 1 big discount of up to 50litre (most of time i manage to get 50 litre free or just paid less than 5 dollars).

Is it possible to use Fuelly to add stats to use the partial instead of always need full fuel? When I pay for the petrol it print the dollar amount, price/dollar, and litre amount. Is this information cannot be used?

Thank you.

AE86Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote