Air bag generation: A spotters guide - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: Air bag generation: A spotters guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Tail gating and aggressive driving has been the norm of every generation since the first time 2 cars used the same road. Complaining about it simply show age.
Does that mean I'm old?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
Registered Member

yup, your new name will be theoldholycow!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #13

Definition: Airbag Generation,
A person who if it wasn't for driver aids and airbags would do the gene pool a favor.
Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #14
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Does that mean I'm old?
I don't know, but as soon as you're done yelling at the kids on your lawn we can discuss it.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Does that mean I'm old?
Its ok. I ***** and moan about kids these days too.

Kids these days...
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #16
Registered Member

Two things-
Printer ink is extraordinarily expensive if you buy it the traditional way;
If you buy it in the "kit" to refill the cartridges yourself, it is $100-150 a gallon (yes, that is very cheap per cartridge). Once the price of the kit itself is paid (<$15 if I recall), the ink is cheap. They aren't hard to fill. Almost all of them can be filled. I keep two sets for each printer filled at all times. It's a little messy, but way cheaper.
Two-
We now live in the "me" generation. That is an explanation for the newer driving habbits. The self centered, I am important, better than everyone, etc generation is the big issue, in my mind. There's some good info on this topic.. I heard something on the radio about it the other day.
B
benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
Registered Member

lol crap im old now...i HATE new drivers and anyone younger than me...

kids are dumb unimaginative cry babies, parents are just as bad of smothering them (thanks purell and lysol!) think back of how many times you didnt wash your hands before eating lunch after playing in the dirt with your tonka trucks...or drank from the garden hose, was outside like 12 hrs a day...

hell i was lucky to get a pencil and a hotel pad of paper to draw with in the car, crayons and ink pens all got "banned" from the backseat when they melted haha so did bubble gum was very glad to get a radio with headphones haha

parents are just as bad and refuse to spank their kids 95% of them out there deserve and NEED to be smacked, like in stores and restaurants i dont ever remember being loud running all over etc. i got spanked a few times, yelled at alot, had those few magical words of (insert full birth name here) or just wait till your father gets home lol.

but i must say i get bad road rage especially at drivers going 50 in a 65 (not just ONE person either like 3 cars blocking all the lanes every dang day) people who cant figure out how or when to use a turn signal, or blatantly break laws that are marked in 3 places (no left turn means NO LEFT TURN, got stuck behind some retard trying to make a left turn in a intersection that's marked in 3 places no left turn, layed on the horn with a cop perpendicular to me and of course he did nothing, if they actually ticketed people when they obviously break laws it would fix the states budget problem)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post
Two things-
Printer ink is extraordinarily expensive if you buy it the traditional way;
If you buy it in the "kit" to refill the cartridges yourself, it is $100-150 a gallon (yes, that is very cheap per cartridge). Once the price of the kit itself is paid (<$15 if I recall), the ink is cheap. They aren't hard to fill. Almost all of them can be filled. I keep two sets for each printer filled at all times. It's a little messy, but way cheaper.
Two-
We now live in the "me" generation. That is an explanation for the newer driving habbits. The self centered, I am important, better than everyone, etc generation is the big issue, in my mind. There's some good info on this topic.. I heard something on the radio about it the other day.
B
I remember first hearing the me generation term in the 80's with the rise of the yuppie. Wikipedia even redirects it to Baby-boomers.

The basis of the thread sounds like a doth protest too much phenomenon.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #19
Registered Member

ok here is what we're talking about(again this behavior was present before this "air bag" generation, but not as prevalent)...

true story, happened yesterday:
on my way home just entering the ramp to the FL turnpike, a young guy decides that my 35mph in the 25mph limit is not good enough and is tailgating me. i slow to 25 and accelerate back to 35 several times(it's a series of long ramps before and after toll), but no results--still on my bumper.

now as we near the 70mph turnpike on the last turn, i tap my brakes. furious, he has to slow even more, he speeds around me, half off the pavement. by the time he makes it around me, he is now merging on the turnpike. to return me the favor, he slams his brakes in front of me, but expecting such foolish judgement, i am both ready and unfazed.

BUT...not realizing his location, he very nearly was rear ended by a third party presumably already going near 70 mph in the travel lane, not expecting some knucklehead to merge in and come to a stop. so this guy, likely drives regularly to endanger his own life, those of his passengers, those that "do him wrong," AND innocent bystanders!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip1 View Post
Definition: Airbag Generation,
A person who if it wasn't for driver aids and airbags would do the gene pool a favor.
You might not be aware but the reason WHY airbags were made was for passengers who WEREN'T wearing their seatbelts.. Unfortunately this message never was communicated properly and so people incorrectly associated airbags with saving lives, driving a car w/o an airbag would mean death when the real issue at hand was that people weren't wearing their seatbelts or the cars had a bad crash test rating. Now more people wear their seatbelts and so front airbags have taken a "back seat" to all of this and are now supplementary but mostly unnecessary. As for side-airbags, they primarily benefit drivers whose head is below the roof line and isn't protected by a roof pillar such as the C-pillar in the rear seats.. So a 5'5 female driver would benefit from a side airbag but a 5'7 rear passenger and a 6'2 driver might not because their heads hopefully contact the padded C pillar and the roof edge respectively. Worst part about side impact testing is that the score is not based upon acceleration load on the head but on the pelvis. So while the head is measured, even if it gets a rating that would lead to brain death, the car in a side impact could still get 5 stars.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote