Another crX... what engine is this? fuel injection? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
Team GasMisers5!

Another crX... what engine is this? fuel injection?

looking at this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...p-64480493.htm

does anyone know what kind of engine this is? is it injection for SuperMID? it doesn't say Si on the back, but it is 1.8...

i dont think we got the eco models in NZ

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Registered Member

It's a dohc ZC motor I believe. It is basically a D-series motor with a dohc head on top of it.

And yes, fuel injected. On the intake it says "pgm-fi," programmed fuel injection. That should make the most power out of any engine I've seen in that gen CRX other than the b16. Can't say I have any idea on the mileage it would get but I know a lot of Hondas and Acuras have them in S. America as an alternative to the not-so-gas-friendly b18b1.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yep it looks a lot like the D16 motor that was in my 87 Acura integra. Multiport fuel injection, DOHC. Mine had good low rpm torque and managed 35 mpg at 65 mph on the interstate in summer. It would have done better with a higher geared transmission. I think it was running about 3,100K rpm in 5th gear at 60 mph.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

That looks like a B18 to me. The ZC's are 1.6's. There is no way to know without asking him, but I always watch out for swapped cars because you never know what wannabe mechanic did the work.

hybriDatsun350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
Team GasMisers5!

Just looking at this (actually a Civic).

What engine is this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...p-66437608.htm

It says ' VTEC-E' on it, and is 1.5 litre. Is there any chance the E means economy, and that is a good engine for economy?

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Hypomiler
Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
Just looking at this (actually a Civic).

What engine is this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...p-66437608.htm

It says ' VTEC-E' on it, and is 1.5 litre. Is there any chance the E means economy, and that is a good engine for economy?

Yes E for economy. It looks like it's everyone's here beloved Civic VX. I don't know the conversion but for the 800 extra whatevers it's got to be a better deal as it is ready to save gas now
FritzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
Team GasMisers5!

OK. I will be phoning up about this today then - I bet it has already gone. If not, it is too tempting And rare!

Hypomiler
Old 04-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Team GasMisers5!

Another question (can't find it on search..)

What obvious faults should I look out for, when buying a Honda Civic VX? I can't tell if it is or isn't going into lean burn etc, but are there areas on the Civic that rust, other things that go wrong etc? I'm hoping to look at this tomorrow if it is still for sale!

Thanks!

Hypomiler
Old 04-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
Team GasMisers5!

Phoned the seller - the clutch is going (probably slipping under full power), but nothing else is wrong with it.

Unfortunately, someone looked at it yesterday, and said they will probably come around today and put a deposit down on the car. This means that it isn't sold, but is also unavailable for sale.

Maybe another time! (I bet this car will get the VTEC-E swapped out for a more powerful engine too!)

Hypomiler
Old 05-04-2008, 11:56 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
It's a dohc ZC motor I believe. It is basically a D-series motor with a dohc head on top of it.

And yes, fuel injected. On the intake it says "pgm-fi," programmed fuel injection. That should make the most power out of any engine I've seen in that gen CRX other than the b16. Can't say I have any idea on the mileage it would get but I know a lot of Hondas and Acuras have them in S. America as an alternative to the not-so-gas-friendly b18b1.
Hmm, i really don't think so, the largest D-series is a 1.7 liter, so if the seller has the right size, its' most likely a variant on the b-18. As far as gas mileage goes, I've never actually heard anyone with a properly running 1988-1995 honda getting under 25 mpg combined.