displaying your MPG - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #11

As long as it isn't scrolling (scrolling means it'll be flashing) there won't be any problems. I also considered hardwiring it on constant 12V switch to turn it on while I have the parked for short times. A few times a week I have people waiting at the car while I'm in a store to ask my mileage. (answer is between 40-50mpg depending how I drive)

Virginia will pull you over just for farting in the wrong direction. We're out here in the woods of NW Florida, it takes a lot to get pulled over. 40+ over the speed limit might do it.

The SMUG episode of South Park was my all time favorite!!!

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
That's what I found, with only a simple "energy star" sticker and nothing more. It's off now, and I'm hypermiling stealth-style. What's more stealth than a white Honda Civic?
How do you possibly get that kind of milage with such few mods. Do you accelerate really slowly? I see you regularly P&G, but is this at speed, highway, between 40-60MPH?

That's amazing milage for just driving style, very curious.

As for the message, even if it doesn't scroll, he said LED, so at night it'd be lit up. Yeah, NY is quite strict with lighting too, mostly with blue or red lights though, they'll pull you over instantly and be very tought. I always wondered though, in NY cops have red lights and volounteers (like firefighters) have blue lights, but in MA the police have blue lights and volunteers have red. I would think NYS would give an issue if you looked like a regular vehicle (like a volunteer) and had a red light on your roof.

itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjstagame View Post
As for the message, even if it doesn't scroll, he said LED, so at night it'd be lit up. Yeah, NY is quite strict with lighting too, mostly with blue or red lights though, they'll pull you over instantly and be very tought. I always wondered though, in NY cops have red lights and volounteers (like firefighters) have blue lights, but in MA the police have blue lights and volunteers have red. I would think NYS would give an issue if you looked like a regular vehicle (like a volunteer) and had a red light on your roof.
I'll have to remember that since the LEDs message frame is in red. I just won't turn on the LED when driving or even my lights since my taillights are red too and on the back of the car.

FWIW - I also have a license frame that says "PASS! HAMSTERS NO GO 60 MPH" (it is all that would fit). That frame blocks my state AND my registration expiration and I don't get bothered. Most likely it is where I'm located, any other place and being any other person may be different.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
Registered Member

about the LEDs, what if you were to tint the front of it so that it isn't overly bright. it would be easy to put some window tint over it so that it isn't a beacon for police to come running for. you may have to play with the amount of tint so that it doesn't black it out completely.

also, I don't think palemelanesian drives with his car on much. the whole EOC (engine off coasting) makes me wish I had a stick shift. there is a guy on here with a cavalier doing the same thing and achieving 60s for mpg. his car is "phleas"

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #15

I haven't hooked it up yet, so it might not be too bright. Looks tinted to start with.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
also, I don't think palemelanesian drives with his car on much. the whole EOC (engine off coasting) makes me wish I had a stick shift. there is a guy on here with a cavalier doing the same thing and achieving 60s for mpg. his car is "phleas"
EOC is a big help, but it's not the end-all be-all of hypermiling. I EOC constantly in my VW and am not beating the EPA by 100% like palemelanesian. He is probably much more patient than me, and his car is probably geared more appropriately for its engine (which, besides making it more efficient, probably makes it more easy to beat the EPA). My car is geared like a Honda but has torque more like a GM.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #17
Registered Member

I just put on my magnetic sign that says;

I'm Better Than You.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #18

Just hooked up the LED message license frame - you guys are for sure right! It was too bright IMO. I'm going to give it a switched power supply.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #19
Registered Member

i was considering this with my chevette, somehting along the lines of 28 years old accross the top with like 37mpg accross the bottom (LOL i accually forgot what it gets, havent driven it in over 4 months)

those sstatic cling numbers would be nice
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:33 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
"28 years old" would make people think that's the age of the driver. Make it say "1980 Chevette" or something...or just nothing, people can tell it's old.