Has anyone ever used liquid electric tape? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Driving on E

Has anyone ever used liquid electric tape?

I can't find my heat shrinks so I used some of that liquid electric tape for my wiring needs.

I'm unsure if it will hold up, or protect to the right degree. Has anyone used it? Any thoughts?

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I've used liquid electrical tape, and have been less then impressed with it because of how stiff it is, and poor it bonds, I prefer the heat shrink that has the soft glue in it to better seal the connection, for wiring harness repair I've been useing a silicon electrical tape that I found in the electrical section, it only sticks to it's self, and is extreamly flexable, simaler to that weird tape that comes on wiring harnesses, only softer.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
I've used liquid electrical tape, and have been less then impressed with it because of how stiff it is, and poor it bonds, I prefer the heat shrink that has the soft glue in it to better seal the connection, for wiring harness repair I've been useing a silicon electrical tape that I found in the electrical section, it only sticks to it's self, and is extreamly flexable, simaler to that weird tape that comes on wiring harnesses, only softer.
I have a bunch of connections done with liquid tape. All of the connections are also soldered, and I've probably put 3 coats of liquid tape on top. I may end up putting some real electrical tape on top of that tomorrow.

If I could do it over I'd just use heat shrinks but I've already put enough time into the project. I guess I'll just trouble shoot the wires as they become problems.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
sealing

I use red and black and find that it dries out and tends to crack off. Use some good old silicon sealer glue $2-$3 for a cauk gun size tube - use clear and that way you can see the joint if corrosion sets in.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
if you use silicone, make sure it's not acidic acid based (smells like pickles) or it will eat copper rather quickly, silicone II calk is not acid based, and is safe, as are I'm sure some glues, but the tubes of silicone II calk are going to be the cheapest.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote