How about this for super cheap A/C - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

How about this for super cheap A/C

My old mans house sits in a area of our state that has a very high water table. The house has a well and the water comes in right next to his furnace. Maybe a foot away from the duct work. As you may know water below the earth stays about the same temp through out the year. About 50 degrees I was thinking I could make a coil out of copper pipe or install a pre made coil into the return air system and install a electronic valve controlled by the thermostat to open and close the water source. I would discharge the water either to the sprinkler system or when needed to the hot water tank. I would set the sprinkler system to open so when ever the thermostat triggers the water opens up and I get cheap AC, paying for the electricity for the blower and pump. This will water the lawn at the same time. In the winter I could have the water cut off completely to the coil and diverted to the water heater with another valve

Everything is already there all I would need is a coil and some plumbing work.. maybe a bit of tin work too.

I drew a diagram of what I was thinking of..

What do you think will this work?

GasSavers_RickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Registered Member

Unfortunately you can only use cooled water to remove a small amount of heat before you have to start dealing with condensation. That may be a critical issue in this, but I do like the idea!

Old 11-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TonJellyBean View Post
Unfortunately you can only use cooled water to remove a small amount of heat before you have to start dealing with condensation. That may be a critical issue in this, but I do like the idea!
I thought of that. I could install a drain tube on the bottom of the return air duct and feed it to the sump pump. The forced air will push it down the drain tube. Maybe even a removable panel to clean off the coil. Put a valve in the drain tube so in the winter no forced air feeds through the tube.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
Registered Member

Feed the water to a sprinkler on the roof to give maximum benefit. My brother in law has two on his roof - suprisingly effective.
bones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
Feed the water to a sprinkler on the roof to give maximum benefit. My brother in law has two on his roof - suprisingly effective.
I hope he doesnt have the ones that go back and forth. Thats would look funny . Maybe the hose type with holes in it, run along the span of the peak? interesting.. I like that idea.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

Or make a cooling tower! Classic technology at its finest!
Old 12-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
What kind of roofing material does the house have? I have Spanish tile on my roof which is quite absorbent, I've often wondered if a sprinkler and evap cooling on my roof would be effective.

Toyman321 is offline   Reply With Quote