I PREDICT, once battery tech delivers EVs with 300-400 driving range... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
Registered Member

The used smart EDs with the battery lease tend to sit on the lot around here. Guess those looking for used car don't want a monthly fee with it.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #12
Registered Member

Yes short term it's less economical, but for those on a smaller budget buying older EV's in a few years time, the lease might be a godsend if they needed to replace the battery shortly after purchase. There are pros and cons to both options I guess.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
Registered Member

Leasing a car = buying the depreciation.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Yes short term it's less economical, but for those on a smaller budget buying older EV's in a few years time, the lease might be a godsend if they needed to replace the battery shortly after purchase. There are pros and cons to both options I guess.
I'd say they would be better off not getting an used BEV if they were worried about, or couldn't afford replacing the battery.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Leasing a car = buying the depreciation.
Not necessarily, most people lease cars now, it's very popular these days as there's a small deposit and rather than pay a balloon payment at the end of the term, you either give the car back or upgrade. Think long term rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
I'd say they would be better off not getting an used BEV if they were worried about, or couldn't afford replacing the battery.
Well it will happen eventually, as EV's get older and make thier way down the market, and it would be unfair if poorer people were penalised because they can't afford a "greener" car. This happened previously with fuel and road tax increases, everyone who could afford a newer cleaner, greener car bought one, and those that couldn't faced high taxes. Punish the less wealthy, as usual.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #16
Registered Member

It might be "most" people in the UK but not even close in the US. Probably fewer than 10% of the vehicle population are leases here. I would consider "most" as over 50% minimum.
MOST leases here are tax write-offs.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:09 PM   #17
Registered Member

80% of new cars registered here are financed some how, including leasing, and at least 60% are leased. In the US it's around 34% which are leased and it's rising fast.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:33 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Well it will happen eventually, as EV's get older and make thier way down the market, and it would be unfair if poorer people were penalised because they can't afford a "greener" car. This happened previously with fuel and road tax increases, everyone who could afford a newer cleaner, greener car bought one, and those that couldn't faced high taxes. Punish the less wealthy, as usual.
If the batteries prove to be short lived, that will be reflected in the used car price. The unknowns of battery life right now is part of the reason for BEV's large depreciation already.

Leasing the battery on a new car might be a deal. I think the smart battery lease here cuts the car price by 10 grand. The lease is $960 a year before tax, for ten years. You get an extended battery warranty without having to pay the entire battery price upfront.

For a used BEV buyer, it isn't much of a deal. The price difference between a used fortwo ICE and ED will be quickly covered by the battery lease fees. Yes, they got some protection in case of battery failure, but major component failure is a risk on all used cars to some degree. Prepared people will budget for that, and those with concerns will get an extended warranty.

What happens when a person doesn't pay the lease fees? Can the battery owner seize the car that they may not have legal ties too?

I think battery leasing was needed in the beginning, but battery costs have dropped a lot since then, and most people will opt for a refurbished pack over new for replacement in a used car. I expect costs to the car owner will be in line with that of a transmission or engine replacement.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #19
Registered Member

I've always thought a 50/50 lease deal would be an idea, so the car owner pays half of what they would usually be charged, and if/when the battery needs replacing, the dealer covers half the cost at the time of replacement. I'm sure that's being considered as we speak.