Long Road Trips and Longest trip - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRover View Post
My math may be a little slow but if your top speed is 50 your average speed would be around 45 max.
So 1178 / 45 = 26.17 hours or 13.08 hours driving a day never mind stops for food and what ever. Sounds like a hellish drive and dangerous way to travel. professional driver do not spend that long behind the wheel.
Day 1 is usually up and on the road by 7 AM and done by 9 PM, including meals and rest breaks, while Day 2 is up by 7 AM and finished by about 7 PM, including meals and rest breaks. I do the down-trip (to FL) rotating drivers with my friend.

I do the return trip solo, and don't find it in the least bit "hellish". In fact, at a leisurely pace of 50 mph (80 kph), I find it relaxing, and stress-free! It's the opposite mindset of "get there-itis", where one is driving at or exceeding the speed limit, trying to make better time and stressing about being late, trying to pass other vehicles, on the lookout for cops, etc.

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #22
Registered Member

I drive a truck for a living. Drive 40+ hours every week. Although some of my driving is very nice in the Hills. We have people come from all over just to drive around the Hills. Different rally's.
There is no way I'm crazy enough to take any long road trip.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:09 AM   #23
Out of Fuel

For someone busy like me, a long trip can be only afforded once a year. That too if I am lucky.
tommypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:01 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommypress View Post
For someone busy like me, a long trip can be only afforded once a year. That too if I am lucky.
ha ha probably because you show no car in the old fuelly garage

But make sure you do get away, a vacation is the best stress relive in the world and driving allows lots of time to bond with the family
BlueRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #25
Registered Member

Once drove from La to tidewater Va in two days (2900 miles-66 Chevy Van). Marathon in the Fla Keys to St Louis in 33 hours straight (1600 miles-73 Alfa GTV ). Too old to mess with that kind of craziness any more.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #26
Registered Member

Longest single trip was last year driving a rental car from San Fransisco back to NY area by way of Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and some other non-straight line destinations, ~5700miles. Ford Expedition EL, enough people to fill it, 17.36 mpg since it's a mileage forum...rated 21mpg highway. Some local driving, and perhaps ~80mph driving in the west cut the mileage a bit but I'd say disappointing, since I usually handily exceed EPA highway ratings and did maybe 2/3's of the driving on that trip.
That was over 20 days, some days non-driving or just local, avg of highway driving days 357 miles, longest 543 miles.
I once went non-stop (except for gas and meals) with a friend from San Diego to NY, no reason to do that kind of thing nowadays.
Corry_El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:30 AM   #27

The longest single road trip I've done was Vladivostok to Helsinki, circling around Europe a couple of times, and then back to Vladivostok. It was a 45,000km (28k miles) long trip, driven all by myself only. It took 3 months to do it. I was getting an average of 12 mpg over the trip which is much higher than what I've got usually. That's because I drove at a much slower pace so that I don't end up in some foreign jail.

I've done numerous -relatively shorter- road trips as well, and the total length of those trips would be around 300,000km over the last decade. I planned to do it again this winter.

intomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intomb View Post
The longest single road trip I've done was Vladivostok to Helsinki, circling around Europe a couple of times, and then back to Vladivostok. It was a 45,000km (28k miles) long trip, driven all by myself only. It took 3 months to do it. I was getting an average of 12 mpg over the trip which is much higher than what I've got usually. That's because I drove at a much slower pace so that I don't end up in some foreign jail.

I've done numerous -relatively shorter- road trips as well, and the total length of those trips would be around 300,000km over the last decade. I planned to do it again this winter.
Hands down winner for long drives Makes my bottom sore thinking of it LOL What type of vehicle??

I always drive slower in the U.S.A. hate the cop coming up with a gun shouting.
BlueRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #29

I did it with my R35 GT-R.

intomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #30
Registered Member

!974, I made my first one month camping trip outside of my lovely Washington state. During 9200 miles of driving, I fell in love with the U.S. National Parks & monuments. Also fell in love with hiking the Grand Canyon, Zion, Cedar Breaks, Bryce Canyon, Bad Lands, Black Hills, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park & Mt. Evans, Wind Cave, Arches Nat'l Park, Painted Desert, etc. Had two rows+ of Nat'l Park stickers on the back bumper. Best time of my traveling journeys, altho my 8200mile motorcycle vacation was mighty fine, too!

litesong is offline   Reply With Quote