Sciatica and Pain - 101 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

Sciatica and Pain - 101

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica
Tells you in a cold, calculated fact-filled manner what Sciatica is and it's cause. Yawn.

I got to thinking about the questions the Advise Nurse on the phone asked, and my doctors queries when I saw him Thursday.

They asked me to grade the pain on a scale from one through ten. Naturally I told her 'ten' because it hurt like hell when I called, and I told the doctor 'one' because it almost didn't hurt at all because I was in his presence and nothing is ever wrong on the doctors examining table. He chuckled.

I told him it felt like the time I dis-located my shoulder, like something got squished between the hip socket and the bone, that I couldn't even stand on my right leg because of the pain and weakness, but after the perfunctory poking and prodding and asking if it hurt 'here' and 'what if I did this or that' he concluded the problem wasn't the hip because the hip joint was way over there and the pain was right here at the top of my right buttock, under the belt. And besides, the x-rays showed arthritis in the hip area of my spine. So we will do the MRI for confirmation this coming Wednesday.
Seven days to get an opening to get an MRI. Take that, Canada, Britain and the rest of 'Free' healthcare.

Pain; 1 to 10.

* The tooth that broke vertically into the root just before the 4th of July....that was a weekend of 10.
* The Migraine that got away from me and caused my head to explode, because I didn't take enough Ibuprofen soon enough,....yep, 10.
* Walking away from thirteen years of marriage because I couldn't take anymore fighting....relief! Oh, never mind.
* Coming out of the anesthetic after my vocal chord surgery, when everything hurt like hell, even the tip of my nose....definite 10.
* The only reason I still have the end of my left index finger is the bone and finger nail stopped the knife.... a 10, but that was mostly irritation at my stupidity.
* 160 pounds of me falling two feet and all that weight multiplied by velocity landing you-know-where....oh, yeh 10!
* Collapsing in a pile when my back gave out in Basic Training and later in Korea....10.

There must be more; like blisters on the soles of my feet when I first began Tae Kwon-do, but continuing on to eventually run four miles barefoot as my daily exercise made me forget,
as we all forget pain and lessen it on the re-telling, unless we are showing off.

Each pain was very serious, and at the time a 10. But, each was different.
Hopefully, nobody ever has to experience all at once so the medical profession can accurately assess what a real 'ten' is.

I guess what I should have done is relate all the above to the doctor and let him figure it out.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

I find associating actions or specific consequences with pain levels makes it a lot easier to be consistent.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Good scale, max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatto View Post
* The only reason I still have the end of my left index finger is the bone and finger nail stopped the knife.... a 10, but that was mostly irritation at my stupidity.
I did that one two weeks before my wedding. It was my left middle finger and my fingernail didn't stop the knife. The end was dangling and it didn't hurt much. Maybe a 5 on the scale, at first. By the time the ambulance showed up (wife wasn't calm enough to drive and I sure couldn't) it was up to 7. When the doctor started fooling with it it shot up to 10. When she stuck needles in it to numb it (supposedly), it shot up to 15. When she was sewing it back on it went to 20, I was screaming and howling.

Why the hell couldn't they put me under for that?

By the next day it was down to 8 and stayed level there for at least a week. I think it was two months before it sank below 4.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have a bad back. When I light mine up nothing will kill the pain.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

shatto,

you ever visit a chiropractor? a good one will do wonders on migraines and sciatica.

i know. been there, done that. my headaches were completely gone until i slipped and hit my head(slippery mud) running after a loose ball in a pick-up game.

thank God, the migraines haven't returned. i had the text book type. you know...LEAVE ME ALONE, TURN OUT THE LIGHTS, and CUT OUT ALL NOISE!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

I average 1 migraine every 3 months-the kind with light sensitivity and vomiting.

I have found that just 1 extra strength aspirin which includes caffeine in the pill works well for stopping my migraines (Tylenol and Advil don't help me). When I start getting the noise/light sensitivity I take one pill and I am usually back to normal in 1-2 hours. Earlier is better because when you start vomiting, its too late for taking pills...

If only I could find what my trigger is...
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Where do you get aspirin with caffeine without acetaminophen? The only pain reliever I know with caffeine is Excedrin, which is aspirin + acetaminophen + caffeine.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
Registered Member

lol my shoulder pops outa place and right back in when im like in the middle of a golf swing or if i lay on it wrong wow does that hurt instantly for a split second...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

worst i've felt so far would have to be when i had this nasty viral throat infection. straight codine syrup wouldn't cut it so went to the hospital and they doped me up on demerol injection with some gravol. man i was feeling good after that lol.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Where do you get aspirin with caffeine without acetaminophen? The only pain reliever I know with caffeine is Excedrin, which is aspirin + acetaminophen + caffeine.
Whoops- I stand corrected- I just looked and yes it does have acetaminophen as well as aspirin and caffeine. I just use the wal mart brand of Excedrin.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote