The return of the HF? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

The return of the HF?

... Kind of

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car..._info-car_news

Still, 41 mpg is not bad. I wish the bread-basket Fit was as fuel-efficient.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #2

Re: The return of the HF?

Honda priced itself out of the compact budget class a long time ago, IMO. When I buy my next car, it's likely to be a Hyundai Elantra or Accent, rather than a Civic. Every Elantra will have a 40 mpg EPA hwy estimate, while only the AT Civic HF will attain 41 mpg. All the Elantras and Accents will have direct injection. Honda bloated, stood still, and blinked. Hyundai & Ford passed it so fast, Honda doesn't realize yet it's out of the game.

FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

I agree that Honda has not been up to par in the numbers game. Even our Fit is only rated at 33 on the highway, although it was averaging closer to the 40-41 mpg average until it got this cold.

It is notable that a Honda Fit actually achieved higher observed mpg than a Mazda 2 and a Ford Fiesta in a recent Car and Driver comparison test, despite having lower EPA ratings.

I did hope that the Civic would be a radical departure from the current models, with direct injection. I also hoped that the Si would have much higher HP than the current model, perhaps using a 2.0L variation of the Acura RDX turbo motor. I am disappointed. However, I'm happy on the MPG front, as a 3-5 mpg bump is always welcome.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #4

This thing is the most unattractive POS I've seen in a while. WTF were they thinking?

Its like they took the ugly stick to the current model and parked it on stilts. Same 1.8 engine, same 5 speed auto. The interior is exactly the same.
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

lol all cars look like plastic eastereggs today anyways...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Meh, looks fine to me. It doesn't make me drool and wish I could be seen in it but it's not repulsive either...just fits in with everything else.

What's with all the hate for ground clearance anyway? Dwindling ground clearance on cars is one of the reasons for the popularity of SUVs as commute vehicles (though, granted, not one of the most major reasons).
Old 02-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #7

If you want ground clearance, buy an SUV. That Civic looks awful. The really sad part is that honda is not updating the drive train at all. Hyundai, Ford and GM are sticking 6 speed auto and DI in almost everything now. Honda is letting itself fall behind badly. I wouldn't be surprised if the Elantra or Fiesta outsell this new civic in a year or two. The 2005-2011 Civic was pretty nice but its getting old and this update is not good enough.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
Registered Member

According to Car and Driver magazine, the press release photos show exaggerated ground clearance, and the real thing will sit about as high as the current model.

The current model Civic was out from 2006-2011. I have an '05 (soon to be 2 generations old).
Old 02-21-2011, 05:21 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
If you want ground clearance, buy an SUV. That Civic looks awful.
I disagree with this point of view. Why should someone have to drive something unnecessarily inefficient when all they need is an economy car that can get through a bumpy parking lot? Just for someone else's vanity?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I disagree with this point of view. Why should someone have to drive something unnecessarily inefficient when all they need is an economy car that can get through a bumpy parking lot? Just for someone else's vanity?
As far as I know, lowering the car improves fuel economy and I don't know of many compact cars with stock suspension that can't make it through a bumpy parking lot. Do you? The current gen civic did just fine every time I drove it for work. Why should we punish all drivers with that ridiculous ride height just because your local pavement sucks?