Volt Production Announced - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2008, 12:54 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
im sure it will have a battery gauge much like a fuel gauge, the only people who will run out of power are the same ones who run outa gas.....

im sure back in early 1900's people were saying the same things between horses and cars...
I think the point is that people dont want a car that is stuck in the city and can't go on the highways, it takes a while to recharge it not like pouring gas into a tank when you are on the side of the road, you need to tow it back and charge for hours.

That would eliminate alot of potential customer IMO.

Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #12
Registered Member

2 things:

4 doors

75% of commuters? not gonna happen at that price.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
Registered Member

I would drive a Volt since my daily commute, round trip, is only 30 miles.

Since the rumors on the internet state you will be able to plug-in to a 120VAC outlet, you could recharge at work to double your range to 80 miles. Noel Perrin in the 1990's was able to convince his employer to add an outlet in the parking lot so he could recharge during the day. I see no reason why most employers would disagree to this today as well.

Here is another source for Volt photos:
http://gm-volt.com/2008/09/16/the-da...lt-was-reborn/

Here is the unofficial Volt waiting list:
http://gm-volt.com/join-us/

The Volt waiting list has generated a lot of interest in news media, sign up today to be part of it all! GM Volt Waiting List Grows -WallStrip

No matter what happens with cost/battery capacity, I will be driving one. To many people know I support it!
rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
2 things:

4 doors

75% of commuters? not gonna happen at that price.
Does it have to hit the lowest common denomenator?

Few things do for new consumer products. This has been true for the first cars, LCD TV's, cable, cell phones, computers, LED bulbs...where should we end the list?

I don't find an electric car very attractive at all, but the look, the image, and the "opportunities" of an electric car probably fall within the demographic of a family that makes a good deal of money. They want to try out something new and cool.

Tesla tried, but shot too high with the cost? Do they even have a product yet to sell?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
Does it have to hit the lowest common denomenator?

Few things do for new consumer products. This has been true for the first cars, LCD TV's, cable, cell phones, computers, LED bulbs...where should we end the list?

I don't find an electric car very attractive at all, but the look, the image, and the "opportunities" of an electric car probably fall within the demographic of a family that makes a good deal of money. They want to try out something new and cool.

Tesla tried, but shot too high with the cost? Do they even have a product yet to sell?
don't misunderstand me. i fully comprehend economics. GM, for one, cannot afford to sell any vehicle for low/zero profit as honda and toyota have.

just don't advertise to the general public that "we" can eliminate all but 25% of gas consuming daily commuters. presumably it meant 25% drive more than 40 miles, but even then they're figuring on 100% of those within that range.

it is absolutely a good, first step.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #16
Registered Member

BTW, it's the same in my shade/solar thread...

$120 per panel, even at high yield, is steep! yes the rich and large corps will buy them, but the rest of us...

i like GM, so i hope the volt project really takes off!
Old 09-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #17
Registered Member

Well, ya gotta give them credit for trying. Even if they are crying uncle under a full nelson. Let's hope it helps save thier butts.
bones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
A great video to watch is "Car of the Future" available on Netflix Instant view for members. The Click and Clack Car Talk brothers tour and talk about all the the technologies people are talking about and one I had not heard about that was really interesting. Description follows:
----------------------------------------
Brothers Tom and Ray Magliozzi -- best known as the hosts of National Public Radio's "Car Talk" -- travel to Boston, Detroit, Iceland and Colorado on a quest to find the perfect car to replace Tom's beloved 1952 MG. Examining wide a range of ethanol, hydrogen, electrical and hybrid technologies, the siblings bring their trademark mix of wisecracking humor and comprehensive automotive knowledge to this engaging installment of "Nova."
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #19
Registered Member

If the electric car become commun, electricity price will go up the roof, and they would somehow produce it with fosil fuel (cold, even oil...). Chinese will join in and it will be the same problem again.

We need better solar panel...

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote