Water Logged - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Water Logged

As you've probably heard on the News, Kansas and Missouri has been getting pounded with Weather (EF5 Tornado in Greensburg, KS ), and major flooding here in the 'City.

Routes are altered, rivers over flood stage, and the rain keeps coming. We've had a break, but the rain should return tomorrow.

Mud and heavy rain seems the norm. Haven't had flooding like this since '93. I'm afraid the weather patterns are out-of-whack. But anyways, FE is down with the extra friction on wet roads and high winds.

How is your region doing? (I hear parts of the SE have a drought). Had an oddly heavy Winter here too...

I suppose the factor of warming trends can partially be to blame -- but that's another discussion.

Best to all...

RH77

Old 05-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Dry and around 90 here. Sorry to hear about the rain, but mud and water crossing can be fun

Old 05-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah, Need a Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Dry and around 90 here. Sorry to hear about the rain, but mud and water crossing can be fun
I had a Jeep Liberty rental for a Rally Race Medic vehicle (I know, The Libby's not really respected in the Jeep Club scene), but it forded a foot to 2-feet of water on a low-water bridge with no problem (and was fun!) -- but the Integra would certainly die and float away (perhaps with me in it)

A TJ/Ruby or old Cherokee Sport with a lift kit would help out in certain parts of town (rescue ops still going-on). Dunno if you'd need a snorkel setup in parts???
Old 05-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
Supporting Member

same storm is hittin here i have to take gravel roads at times and those really muddy so i have to go out of my way 3 miles to get to some paved roads. The rivers around here are exstreemly high but outher then that it should be fine. I was about to post about the same thing and ask for a little refresher on how to drive with tons of water on the road. I have been ridin the ridge as they say but is there anything else that can keep the fe some what normal?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
I had a Jeep Liberty rental for a Rally Race Medic vehicle (I know, The Libby's not really respected in the Jeep Club scene), but it forded a foot to 2-feet of water on a low-water bridge with no problem (and was fun!) -- but the Integra would certainly die and float away (perhaps with me in it)

A TJ/Ruby or old Cherokee Sport with a lift kit would help out in certain parts of town (rescue ops still going-on). Dunno if you'd need a snorkel setup in parts???
Due to the demographic of the Libby's owners and the fact its got IFS, its not the worlds greatest trial rig, but its ok....

Stock for stock, either a TJ, or an XJ you are good till the bottom of the doors, if you want to play it safe. You can go as far as the top of the fenders if you are feeling crazy. Snorkles IMO are overrated, if you get into water that deep you have bigger problems to deal with. (Alternator shorting, PDC blowing, ECU frying, water in the oil pan, tranny, t-case, diffs, etc)

What would be a good trick for water running? Besides plowing through (fun) and avoiding major water ways (safe). Isn't hydrolocking a concern?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post

How is your region doing? (I hear parts of the SE have a drought). Had an oddly heavy Winter here too...
We just had a backdoor front move in... Goofy weather that comes from the northwest instead of northeast.... So... It's may and cold (for South Florida).

On the way home, I got pounded for the first 60 or so miles (then on/off rain). But, because the weather was moving south (like me) -- I had a nice tail wind... 39.2mpg -- best tank to date on account of the tail wind and following behind trucks at the low end of interstate highway speeds

But ya -- you should see the canals here.... Terribly low - I've seen it lower, but not by much. But the drought is making the tomatoes I planted a few months ago down here fruit like crazy... Mmmmm, homegrown organic tomatoes

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

We had some bizzare weather in the last few days, but it was pretty much fleeting. It's about 65 degrees and pretty windy where I am (a rarity for Florida in May). I agree with trebuchet's assessment of the canals. My Cape Dory is stuck int he mud right now, which never happens in the summer and only occasionally in the winter. Apart from that it's been dry as a bone. We've had almost no rain so far, and it's been hot as hell out. I remember just 10 years ago that at this time of the year, it would rain every day at 3pm almost on the dot for 1/2 hour. Every year we've been getting less and less rain to the point where it's been drought here for a few years.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:18 AM   #8
Registered Member

Raining like hell again here. Go from dust bowl conditions to Noah.

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:33 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
My Cape Dory is stuck int he mud right now, which never happens in the summer and only occasionally in the winter.
Never heard of a Cape Dory before. Is it one of these?

And now, the weather:

Locally, it's been pretty normal here. Dry (forest fires already in n.w. Ontario), but we've got showers coming. Overall, probably relatively normal April/start of May.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
Registered Member

I wish! Mine is much smaller:

I mowed alot of lawns and bought this while in the 7th grade for $1000. I was thinking of selling it recently to move up to something a little bigger, but it's too nice. I can't take it out for a few days like I would like to, but it's pretty fast, will get very close to the wind and handles magnificently. It's solid as a rock too. The boat weighs one ton, and almost half of it is in the full keel.

Cape Dory was a small new England company that closed down when the owner retired and was worried about the reputation being dirtied by a new owner. Mine was built in '74.

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote