wife needs a newer car - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #51
Registered Member

Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I go for the best product no matter where it's from. If our boys made it, great. If they opt not to (ie. abandoning efficient vehicle market segments in favor of conspicuous consumption segments) and someone from somewhere else gets the job done, then they get the reward.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7
We also looked at some chevy hhrs, a friend has a 2.4 auto and says she is getting mid 30s mpg. They can be had new for $15-18k for lesser equipped models. My wife seems to really like the styling. It is assembled in Mexico , the civic in ohio . I think the civic even lists a slightly higher % parts from US than the chevy.
I've driven HHR's from stripped to well-equipped, and the FE, ergonomics -- well, just about everything about the car I didn't like. GasSavers Review.. Since that writing, I drove one about 500 miles and couldn't wait to get rid of it. Aero seems to really drag this vehicle down -- including cross-winds. I'd be cautious of FE...

RH77

Old 08-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #52
Registered Member

Hey, thanks for the input , I'll have to see if my friend is going from the computer mpg or actual calculated mpg.

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #53
Registered Member

the hhr is a box its gonna get affected in wind.

has anyone mentioned the chevy malibu? 4 cyl 4 door car automatic...

same with focus, oodles of options there. i think the sticker said low 30's-high 30's city hwy.(with 5 speed) brand new only 15K with a few options.

if you cant deicde, try renting the same car from a rental place for a few days. see if you truely like it.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:33 PM   #54
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
the hhr is a box its gonna get affected in wind.
Nothing wrong with a box As long as it's a well designed, tested box
CFD of a Box Fish

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #55
Registered Member

Great Domestic Sedan

Quote:
has anyone mentioned the chevy malibu? 4 cyl 4 door car automatic...
My favorite domestic sedan. Review. The V-6 even gets good FE...and it's built in Kansas City

On a vacation/work trip, I put 2500 miles on the LT, V-6 version -- and it was great. It's a nice surprise when you first drive it -- nothing like you expect.

RH77
Old 08-28-2007, 05:07 AM   #56
Registered Member

We rented a Malibu, and our son insisted that I needed to get rid of my car and get a Malibu. I'd definitely strongly prefer the hatch version. Easier to carry junk.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:07 AM   #57
Registered Member

I do like the looks of the new malibus. The maxx is my favorite but the hatch seems to mess with the FE a bit. I'll have to price some.

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #58
Registered Member

haha yea i love the hatch back versions. too bad they didnt have a 2 door hatch version tho...

lookin at chevys website about the maxx(5door hatch) and it has sliding rear seats! man id love to be able to scoot the seat back. im tall and usualyl my knees ram into the front seat if i sit in the back of some cars. or slide them forward for more hatch space!

aww dang they dont come with manual tranny... wont buy one then...
Old 08-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #59
Registered Member

Quote:
did you ever do any maintaince to them? any car will die on the road if you dont do the needed basic stuff.
DUH,,,,

The way I look at it. Those idiots at GM owe me atleast one new car if not two free of charge. I hope there worthless a$$ goes out. They tried to give me a GMC truck for a truck at work. I never drove the hunk of junk. Parked it out back. They gave it to another person.... Brand new and it shot the belt tensioner on them first trip to Arkansas. They bought me a F-150 the next day. The owner's Suv hoe has been in the shop more than his BMW. The only person left driving GM junk at work is my boss. I guess he still thinks cars and trucks are suppose to break down on you every 3rd oil change.

My daughter bought a low mile 99 Malibu. What a hunk of junk. All four of the windows have crashed to the bottom of the doors. The vaccume system under the dash is a nightmare. Its ate 2ea alternators under warranty. That didn't stop until I showed her how cheap arse GM doesn't put enough thermal paste between the reg. and alum alternator case. IE the heat sink. I modded the 3rd one and its been fine.

She is about to trade it off on a Fit, Yaris or Elantra. The sooner the better.

A buddy of mine I work with purchased a new 06 Chevy quad cab. Driving it home one of the windows in a back door fell out. Then he had to get a lawyer to make them put a new rear end in the darn truck cause it was wearing out the inside of the rear tires. The rear end was out 1/4". We proved it to the dealer with laser's used to align pumps. He got rid of it and bought a F-150.

I want to believe in GM... But I feel sorry for folks that buy there junk. Its unreal how poor there stuff is engineered and built.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:12 PM   #60
Registered Member

lol i could say just as many bad things about honda and toyotas too. alot of it has to do with who owned it before you and how well they maintained it. were the alternators you bought for your daughters car accualy brand new gm alternators? or were they rebuilt? or off brand? lol cant blame a remakers or off brand problem on gm just cuz its for a gm car...i could say the same about my sisters saturn. went thru 3 alternators in about 2 months. turns out all the rebuilt alternators the shop kept getting was a batch of defective ones.