Will soon Lose my Best MPG Route - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Will soon Lose my Best MPG Route

My Mum is currently a 20 minute drive away. Interpol appears to be hot on her trail, so we kids thought we better move her now so there's not another shootout with tanks, helicopters, and armored personnel carriers. Dear Mum likes her independence.

I can take the freeway to her old place, but I take surface streets, because it allows textbook application of Engine Off Coasting (EOC).

What makes it such a good EOC route? It's completely flat so it provides a coasting rich environment. And, for a metropolitan area, there's one stretch with few signal lights to interrupt my coasting.

On one 21 minute trip to her place my engine was only on for 9 minutes. All 12 other minutes were EOC. Most of those 9 minutes were spent wastefully idling at stop lights.

While I'll lament the loss of my best MPG routes (sigh), Mom will soon be a 10 minute bike ride away. So, while my Fuelly MPG statistics will take a hit, I'll be using less gas.

Does anyone have a good EOC route?

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #2
Registered Member

Death Valley seems to fit your desired route.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRover View Post
Death Valley seems to fit your desired route.
Good idea. Bonneville Salt Flats, too!
Old 12-23-2016, 05:29 AM   #4
Registered Member

Well, my new MPG numbers are in. After averaging 48.9 MPG for my last 10 tank refills, I'm now down to a crappy 39.0. Somebody shoot me. (it's an american expression, paul. you wouldn't understand.)

This 20% MPG drop shows the advantage of traveling Engine Off Coasting-friendly roads. In my high MPG case, that traveled path was flat straight, relatively few stoplights, and excellent visibility for timing the approach to a distant stoplight.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

I wouldn't get bugged by your economy drop, over a year, what will it cost you? $100, maybe less with the fuel prices there. You're still getting great economy Doug. I know what "shoot me" means, we use it here too, which is weird because we banned guns 30 years ago to stop gun homicide (it worked by the way)

Happy Christmas guys!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #6
Registered Member

From a 20 minute drive to a 10 minute bike ride? Sounds like your weekly mileage just dropped significantly, By what percentage? Monthly fuel cost also dropped. by how much?

As far as shoot me, I like to be armed, never had to use one to defend myself but also never experienced a crime that was obvious to me. Hope I never need to defend myself, but to me it's like insurance. Some of my ancestors had to move out of Saint Mary's county Maryland to stop British impressement of our family members until the end of the War of 1812 when our shooting capabilities convinced the British that we would not be easy prey to their press gangs.

Ancestors left the UK in the early 1600's during Cromwell's persecution of Catholics. I don't remember US citizens persecuting Brits about their religion or kidnapping their citizens to serve our Navy under threat of the lash.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:22 AM   #7
Registered Member

That's the issue buddy, somewhere along the line, Americans got confused with self defence and murder, here they are too different things. What are you defending yourself against, civil war? Alien invasion? Zombie apocalypse? Everyone on Earth has a right to self defence, but why carry a weapon only designed to kill? No other first world country needs weapons. It's gotten so out of hand, people are being murdered live on tv and social media, some Schools have got higher fatality rates than the warzones in the middle east, and there have been more mass murders in the US than days in the year in 2016. Not even a war torn terrorist suppressed middle eastern nation can compete with that kind of violence. You're 12000 times more likely to be shot by a fellow US citizen than killed by a terrorist.

But hey, that's my opinion, and yours is yours. Happy Holidays.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:18 AM   #8
LDB
Registered Member

I'm not sure where all your statistics come from but they sound like they are from the Brady Campaign or similar sources. The problem isn't inanimate objects, it's people.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:35 AM   #9
Registered Member

The Swiss might disagree with you.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:46 AM   #10
Registered Member

A comment with a smile attached turns ugly. Must be the Christmas spirit