I have got a new bike :) - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Team GasMisers5!

I have got a new bike :)

It gets about 213MPG highway use, but this drops to a lowly 95mpg for city stop-start commuting.

Can't wait to get my license and start riding this

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:14 AM   #2
Registered Member

Great bikes, I have two of them. One almost finished with a 125cc aftermarket engine on it.

Jim T.

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:37 AM   #3
QDM
Registered Member

Don't count on getting 213 mpg. I believe that's the company stated mileage for the Cub at a steady cruising speed of under 25 mph. 100 mpg is possible if you take it easy.

I have 2 Trail 90s, both with Lifan 110cc engines. They make great little commute bikes for speeds up to 45 mph.

Q
QDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I've noticed that on my 250 I get better mileage in town than I do on the freeway. All city I get in the 90s and all freeway I get in the 60s.

Not bad at all but still backwards. Nice thing though, if I speed racer around town I STILL get in the 70s.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
QDM
Registered Member

I've noticed the same thing on smaller bikes. My 200 gets better mileage in town. My 500 is about the same either way. My Goldwing gets better mileage on the highway.

A trail 90 or 110 makes a great commuter for low speeds. Very reliable and cheap to operate. For 100% street use I would switch to street tires. They'll handle better and last longer than the trials type tires commonly used.

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
I've noticed that on my 250 I get better mileage in town than I do on the freeway. All city I get in the 90s and all freeway I get in the 60s.

Not bad at all but still backwards. Nice thing though, if I speed racer around town I STILL get in the 70s.
QDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Registered Member

the reason is that a 250cc or less are used to their maximum to go to a highway speed... i think
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure the reason I get in the 60's on the freeway is because the engine is more efficient between 3000 and 6000 and once above that the engine is outside of where it's most efficient.

In town when I'm accelerating hard I at least pass through the efficient operating range but on the freeway it's just sitting way out of it.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
Team GasMisers5!

My commute will allow me to do 25-30mph for 12 km, then about 3-4km at 50mph, then back down to 25-30mph for the last 8 km or so, so I hope to get pretty good mileage overall!

Unfortunately I can't switch to Neutral from 4th gear, so can't do any EOCing, which I was hoping to do (I'm still keen to find a way around this). I might use a smaller sprocket on the rear wheel to lower the RPMs a bit, and may modify the ignition timing while using high-octane fuel.

I might also do some small aero-mods on the bike, kind of like a fairing, on the fast stretch of my commute will probably duck down a bit to reduce drag, and will make a rear carrier box for it, which will be aero-designed so it reduces the drag I will cause while sitting on the bike (especially if I bend down a bit).

Also, it has street tyres already, which is nice!

Look forward to using this for the commute

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
Unfortunately I can't switch to Neutral from 4th gear, so can't do any EOCing, which I was hoping to do (I'm still keen to find a way around this).
Hold in your clutch and leave it in gear. Then, just bump start it by letting out the clutch. Think of it as a manual car but when you EOC you have to leave it in gear and all you have is the clutch pedal to disengage the engine.

You are going to notice something very quickly though, you won't get much EOC opportunity. The places you can easily EOC in your car you won't be able to on the bike because it has WAY too much frontal area for the amount of weight behind it. Maybe a 1200 pound Boss Hoss could EOC with ease but not much else.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
Hold in your clutch and leave it in gear. Then, just bump start it by letting out the clutch. Think of it as a manual car but when you EOC you have to leave it in gear and all you have is the clutch pedal to disengage the engine.
The Honda 90/110 Trail series bikes are all auto shift, no clutch lever.

Thats why I put a Lifan 125cc five speed on mine.

Jim T

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote