Thinking about getting a motorcycle - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #31
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, while not as bad looking as the Japanese sport bikes, the BMW's are not to my liking.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #32
Site Team / Moderator

I've read so many articles in the past week, I can't remember which bike it was. Apparently there's a Japanese bike out there that's a copy of the classic Indian design. Does anyone here know what make/model it is?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #33
Registered Member

Guess I'll chime in here...

1. Take a class, or have a good mountain road to practice riding on early in the morning when there is no traffic. A mountain road will teach you a lot...it will teach you about how much you can push the bike, how to react to turns, and how nice it feels when the sun comes up.

2. Practice going around obstacles. What I mean is this: You see a car (or other large, immovable object) in front of you. Do you try to stop, or go around it? Practice, practice, practice going around. When you are riding on a deserted road (and do this a lot while you are learning), pick a spot close in front of you. Practice going around that spot. Could keep you out of the hospital. I can tell you that if you try to panic stop at 60 mph, you'll lock up the wheels. I did that, and have had a rod in my right leg since 1979 after it was caught between the handlebars and the gas tank. Can you say femur snap?

3. Biggest bike I rode was an '81 Goldwing. Nice, comfy, kinda like a Lincoln on two wheels. BUT...it was heavy, ponderous, and not at all nice to ride on dirt roads. Best bike I had for that was a '72 Triumph 650. I mention this because at that time I would often spend weekends out at a friend's place in Twentynine Palms, CA, a couple miles off of paved roads.

4. Most important: DON'T let ME, YOUR FRIENDS, or a MAGAZINE ARTICLE talk you into getting one bike if you really like something different! You are the one who has to ride it, ride what you like! (I kinda liked that Harley V-Rod, but that's just me).

72 Triumph...found on the web, but very close to how mine looked...

Goldwing...not exactly mine (this is a GL1000, mine was a GL1100) but close...mine had no fairing or bags...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #34
Site Team / Moderator

Yes, I am signing up for an official cycle class. The community college down the street holds motorcycle classes on weekends.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I've read so many articles in the past week, I can't remember which bike it was. Apparently there's a Japanese bike out there that's a copy of the classic Indian design. Does anyone here know what make/model it is?
Jay,

Kawasaki made the "Drifter" version of the vulcan, both a 800cc and a 1500cc version.

Jim
Like this

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/mcy/1682846748.html

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #36
Site Team / Moderator

Thanks. my brother in law told me this afternoon.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #37
Site Team / Moderator

Well, after some searching I found this drifter, @ 1/3 my budget...

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/1681544716.html

Old 04-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #38
Registered Member

Nice looking bike! It's making me want a bike again...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #39
Site Team / Moderator

That model is certainly making me rethink Japanese...

Old 04-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
That model is certainly making me rethink Japanese...
Back when I did most of my riding (late '70s to mid '80s) you could buy a bumper sticker that read: "I'd rather push my Harley than ride a Jap bike".

Back at that time, Japanese bikes were much more reliable. I knew of Goldwings with over 100k on them, I sold my Honda 750 with about 60k miles, and my Triumph, which showed 20k on the odometer (but cable was broken, had been broken a couple years, and the owner said he rode between West Covina, CA and Santa Barbara, CA on a regular basis) looked like it could easily have had 100k on it.