HHO Brown gunk - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > HHO and Hydrogen
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

HHO Brown gunk

Take it easy on me I am new to the forum. the answer to my question is probably in one of the thread. Thanks in advance. I've been looking around and doing some studying on building a HHO generator I've found several design and duplicated one. the problem I am facing is the water (tap water with table salt) creates a brown gunk after 10-15 minutes of testing. I've cleaned the cell and the SS parts several times. How do I clean the components so it does not produce this much gunk.

koya1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

I would assume that you would want to use distilled water or at least filtered water. are you using well water or is it city provided water?

on a different note, have you tried some of the other stuff like airing up your tires to sidewall max? purchasing a scangauge (if your car is 1996 or newer) maybe even a grill block or warm air intake.

there is nothing wrong with experimenting but so many people get caught up in HHO and neglect the easier modifications that cost next to nothing (and sometimes nothing) because they either saw an add on the internet or they are hoping for the doubled mileage. I will admit, nothing I have done has doubled my mileage but the HHO won't do it for you either. (I'd be willing to put money on that statement)

if you still want to experiment with HHO, have fun. what kind of car do you drive? start a garage and a gas log. it will make keeping track of your progress easier and it gives a cool graphic display.

welcome to the site.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

First thing first. thank you for the reply. I am working on my 1987 Chevy suburban. thus far what MOD's i've done to it has yield great result, city mpg is 12pmg using 87 octane and 17mpg on highway driving.

As far, as the water for the HHO generator, I was using unfiltered city water. I guess I'll try to use distilled or filtered water. my initial test with the system improve the city mpg by 1.7mpg until the water produced so much brown gunk eventually the fuse pop,which made me believed that it was drawing more maps than it needs to when the water is contaminated to the extend its like melted chocolate ice cream.

Why warm air intake?
koya1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Warm air intakes are very effective on some vehicles, worthless on others, and detrimental on some. They're generally free (you just build it yourself) and nobody has anything to gain by selling them, which helps make them worth trying.

Your Suburban can probably use much higher tire pressure than what is specified by Chevy, without causing any problem. That would be a totally free and low-effort way to gain some MPG without consequences or side-effects. Experiment but don't exceed the maximum stamped on the tire sidewall.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
A WAI is easy to try on your burby too. Just turn the filter cap upside down!

But yeah, that city water is what is causing your brown gunk. City water is already pretty saturated and when you get rid of the water and leave the minerals behind it becomes too much and stuff starts falling out of the mixture.

Just remember that you can't run straight distilled water. It won't conduct electricity so you have to add something to it. Either salt or I think someone on here said baking soda was clean but created a caustic solution.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
j3s
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to j3s
This is one i am trying in my plymouth minivan. Its relativeley cheap to build requires some maintenance but uses tap water and baking soda. It requires no modes to the car computer or sensors, just an occaisonal rinsing out and replacing acouple of the condiment cups. To early to tell yet but hoping to see some gains. It also makes the engine run smoother.

http://www.searcypress.com/
when that page comes up click on the middle top link and it will take you to the videos, watch them .

JES
j3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3s View Post
This is one i am trying in my plymouth minivan. Its relativeley cheap to build requires some maintenance but uses tap water and baking soda. It requires no modes to the car computer or sensors, just an occaisonal rinsing out and replacing acouple of the condiment cups. To early to tell yet but hoping to see some gains. It also makes the engine run smoother.

http://www.searcypress.com/
when that page comes up click on the middle top link and it will take you to the videos, watch them .

JES
I use cooled down boiled water, it is basically the same but the main problem with brown gunk is you need to condition your plates and this is a long process (2-3 days) and also you're drawing in too much amp, don't let it go over 20.
pdai11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

Some grades of stainless steel ain't so great for electrodes, and will put rust in the water.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote