A long post on coasting vs rolling - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #11
Registered Member

Without a clutch (CVT), i understand slight pressure on the accelerator removes the engine braking/regenerative charging. I try and use this as much as possible. Fully off the throttle works as slowing for conditions ahead.
How close to the truck ahead do you need to be to "draft"?
Its not something I'd do as i like a lot of space ahead and behind, nice and safe, lots of time to slow without braking etc...
Had my worst tank ever with the Prius, i'm blaming a brief hybrid system failure and it being left running stationary at the dealers to check it out...

Old 10-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #12
Registered Member

Is there a way to adjust the strength of the regenerative brakes in the Prius? I notice the Outlander phev has flappy paddles either side of the wheel, not to change gear, but to strengthen or weaken the amount of regeneration braking. Thought that was a good idea, perhaps on long steep hills, you could probably fully recharge the battery again and keep a safe speed going down. I can barely feel them on the Clio as they only charge the 12V so not much is needed, they may only even work when braking, not lifting off the accelerator.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:23 PM   #13
Registered Member

There is a "B" selector for a descent gear, with heavier drag/engine braking (which i haven't used). I imagine it would be useful in Wales, Scotland or Cumbria!
The regeneration trickles in from rolling, and increases proportionally with added pressure on the brakes. I have one very steel hill near me where the B mode probably be useful, but i always just keep my foot on the brake, and max regen. I should try it next time!
Have you found a way to get the Insights system working again?
I am debating whether to stop fannying about for best economy, and just start putting my foot down from now on!
Old 10-08-2016, 12:47 AM   #14
Registered Member

I found a guy about 70 miles who's had an insight for 13 years, seems to know his stuff, so once I get a fresh MOT, I'm planning a trip down there to see if he can fit a grid charger etc.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:30 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverGT View Post
Drafting is dangerous and gives hypermilers a bad name, everyone thinks we use drafting.

I for one would not recommend it to anyone and don't believe there are any gains to be had from it.

If you want to use it, fine, but don't mention it in the forums as though it is an accepted hypermiling technique, it's not. In fact there are other forums dedicated to hypermiling that go out of their way to distance themselves from it.

I suggest we do the same.

There are plenty of safe techniques that will result in good MPG gains, lets stick to discussing those. I'm not stopping you using it, but don't bring it to the forums please.

Apologies if this is a little strongly worded, I'm not trying to offend anyone, but let's keep the discussions to safe and legal techniques.

Oliver.
Although this does depend on your interpretation of drafting. If drafting means driving just a few feet from the vehicle in front at 60mph then I totally agree with you... I never do anything like that and people who tailgate me don't do it for long

But is driving 25m behind a truck at <60mph in good conditions on a quiet autobahn so dangerous?? I argue it's not and that it still makes a considerable difference to fuel economy. I live in Germany too where tailgating is a popular pastime and my "drafting" is such that people will overtake me and fill the gap with their car!
Old 10-10-2016, 03:32 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
To add a signature, go onto your cars profile and scroll down. Towards the bottom right, you'll see a link for banners and badges. Copy and paste the code into your signature, which you can edit on the forum by clicking "user CP" above, and then "Edit signature"
Did it ↓ Thanks!
Old 10-12-2016, 05:07 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlovesgoddess View Post
Without a clutch (CVT), i understand slight pressure on the accelerator removes the engine braking/regenerative charging. I try and use this as much as possible. Fully off the throttle works as slowing for conditions ahead.
How close to the truck ahead do you need to be to "draft"?
Its not something I'd do as i like a lot of space ahead and behind, nice and safe, lots of time to slow without braking etc...
Had my worst tank ever with the Prius, i'm blaming a brief hybrid system failure and it being left running stationary at the dealers to check it out...
Even following a truck at the safe distance has some benefit.

Know exactly what the hybrid failure was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Is there a way to adjust the strength of the regenerative brakes in the Prius? I notice the Outlander phev has flappy paddles either side of the wheel, not to change gear, but to strengthen or weaken the amount of regeneration braking. Thought that was a good idea, perhaps on long steep hills, you could probably fully recharge the battery again and keep a safe speed going down. I can barely feel them on the Clio as they only charge the 12V so not much is needed, they may only even work when braking, not lifting off the accelerator.
I don't think any straight hybrid has selectable levels of regen braking. The battery pack is simply too small to need anything more beyond adjusting the pressure on the brake pedal. Heavy regen will quickly fill the battery, and then kick to friction brakes.

The larger battery of a plug in makes different regen levels viable, and most implement it. They could have the 'shifter' paddles, or just change the level through the 'transmission' shifter. Some BEVs can have the regen set high enough for one pedal driving.

Tesla is one, and I think regen braking is controlled through the accelerator; halfway on the pedal has the car in a glide, press more for power, and ease off for braking. The brake pedal is just the friction brakes.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:58 AM   #18
Registered Member

Nah, no one has any idea - thought it has been fine ever since. I'm happy to follow any truck at a safe distance...!
Old 10-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Even following a truck at the safe distance has some benefit.

Know exactly what the hybrid failure was?

I don't think any straight hybrid has selectable levels of regen braking. The battery pack is simply too small to need anything more beyond adjusting the pressure on the brake pedal. Heavy regen will quickly fill the battery, and then kick to friction brakes.

The larger battery of a plug in makes different regen levels viable, and most implement it. They could have the 'shifter' paddles, or just change the level through the 'transmission' shifter. Some BEVs can have the regen set high enough for one pedal driving.

Tesla is one, and I think regen braking is controlled through the accelerator; halfway on the pedal has the car in a glide, press more for power, and ease off for braking. The brake pedal is just the friction brakes.
BMW i3 is another example of one pedal driving is applicable, my boss' brother has one. It feels like you're constantly applying gentle braking as soon as you lift off the accelerator apparently.

Tags
100mpg, coasting, engine braking, hypermiling, pulse and glide