Hypermiling techniques WASTE lots of fuel?!? - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #81
Registered Member

Youch! I'm afraid this thread has taken a turn for the worse not to mention it's way off topic. I hope we can agree on one thing: Safety First. Fossil fuels and automobiles will come and go, the safety and well being of ourselves, our loved ones and all whom share the road (no matter how they behave) is paramount. Let's not lose sight of the bigger picture.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:31 AM   #82
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Z has a point. One scenario where I will consciously control a following driver is approaching a red light where that driver has no other option but to stop also. Eg. there isnt a right turn lane, or a driveway for them to get into, etc.

In that case, I have no qualms about slowing early in an attempt to preserve some momentum for when the light goes green. So I am "forcing" them to save fuel that would otherwise have been wasted.

Of course, if they go apoplectic and take the next opportunity after the light to roar past me at WOT as a way to signal their displeasure, spewing unburnt HC out the exhaust as they pass...
haha thats always funny as hell, I had a guy in a diesel dodge truck with foxy stickers on his "cool" back window try to burn out and roar past me at a light after I accelerated slowly just a minute before, the funniest part was that his exhaust pipe came slow close to my door I could feel it pushing against my plastic car, and that he could barely peel out, I could have peeled out down the entire street, but im not in dingbat, his attempt at manhood was just plain weaksauce.

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:37 AM   #83
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
We could atone for our hypermiling sins by surreptitiously inflating other cars' underinflated tires with our 12v compressors in parking lots. Forgive me Michelin Man, for I have sinned...
better yet, I have a battery jumper pack with a 12v cigarette adaptor built into it, so I can pump my tires up with out draining my cars' battery and without the engine running.

I've also figured out that I can run a 400watt invertor off that same jumper pack for maybe a few hours(a little dangerous), I was able to play a 300 watt stereo system off of it for a while
Old 03-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkitikkitavi View Post
Ok so call me greedy, but my goal in Hypermiling is to save me money, anyone been to the grocery lately? Soon it'll be a choice between eating and sleeping in your car at work to save gas (fewer trips).

I am a very conservative person, do I believe the climate is changing? Yes I dont know however if we are the cause or it is natural or a combination of the two. I also realized that no matter the cause I dont mind doing my part to lessen our dependance on foreign oil, and keep lots of critters and green places around for my kids and grandkids to enjoy. We are not going to change driving habits here until fuel is 6-7 bucks a gallon (by mid summer 08 I think) . And even then by 2012 there will be more drivers in China and India with less "clean" autos to more than make up for our change.

I guess I'm trying to say that each one of us is but a drop in the bucket, but at least we get some personal satisfaction and hopefully a little good "karma" from doing our part.

Rikki

wow way off