Hypermiling techniques WASTE lots of fuel?!? - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2009, 06:07 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Take a macro view of it: during the course of a hypermiler's trip, how many other vehicles barrelling along come up on a hypermiler doing extreme P&G or something and due to conditions or them not realizing what is going on, hit the brakes, de-activate the cruise control, slow way down (or not) and accelerate to pass again. Here we have one vehicle- the one that probably would be getting the best FE out of the lot of them at steady state cruise- potentially causing dozens or hundreds of guzzlers to interrupt their gait and guzzle even more... potentially causing more fuel useage than if the "hypermiler" went with the flow of traf f***! Of course if the hypermiler has the road to himself he is saving fuel compared to steady state cruise, or beating on it.
+1
Hypermilers can be a menace to other drivers just as much as speeders. If you're causing any other vehicle on the highway to speed up or slow down away from the posted speed limit, you need to re examine your driving. And most importantly if you're not going to keep up with the flow of traffic STAY IN THE SLOW LANE

21654, 21654a, 21654b, 21655, 21655b, 22400, 22400a, 22400b
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/vioptct.htm

dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:34 AM   #52
Registered Member

I rarely just shut the engine off after stopping, but I frequently end up coasting to a stop with the engine off if the light has just changed red.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:48 AM   #53
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
I rarely just shut the engine off after stopping, but I frequently end up coasting to a stop with the engine off if the light has just changed red.
If a light far enough ahead changes red in front of me I will shift out of OverDrive, and into 3rd to induce DFCO, and do a long, gradual DFCO on the approach to the light.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #54
Registered Member

In my two cars the mileage is about the same when I choose two routes that run parallel to each other. One is I64 between Williamsburg and Richmond. The other is US route 60 which runs parallel to and predates the Interstate.

US 60 is deserted, while I64 is usually bumper to bumper for the whole distance. Drafting 3 stripes behind the car (preferably a larger truck)or hypermiling on the old deserted Route 60 produce virtually identical mileages.

Only a fool would try hypermiling on I64 and creating a traffic constriction. You would probably be physically assaulted with projectiles by irate drivers.

I always adjust my techniques for the situation, and lately I have chosen the older US routes for many trips. Much more pleasant drive for the 5 minutes an hour it might cost you.

70.2 MPG on the last 577 miles in one day trip. Averaged about 58 MPH while on the road.

regards
gary
Old 09-24-2009, 06:36 AM   #55
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93dagsr View Post
lmao!!! man you guys are hillarious!!!
WHAT! I do that at work - walk around checking peoples tires all the time and pump them up too. I find some below 20psi typically in the mid 20's.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:43 AM   #56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolak View Post
One of the big things people should think about is how much gas they burn sitting at lights. Take 30seconds or better of fuel times the number of cars at the light, every light, both ways. We are talking about a lot of fuel in a days time. It only takes less than 5 seconds to start a car after the light turns and if there are cars in front of you by the time they start to roll on the light change, you are ready to go. Just something to think about.
Most of the red lights around here are only 20 seconds long . . . just enough to stop you and waste a MPG or two before they turn green again for 30 seconds. I try to decelerate all the way to the light and get there when it turns green again so I get fuel shutoff the entire time even if I have to kill some speed with the brakes right away to increase my deceleration coast time by lowering my initial speed. I also tried stop sign to stop sign brisk acceleration in the first ttwo gears then coast to the next stop sign and found I get up to 40mpg doing it where normally I drop into the low 30's.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
I find some below 20psi typically in the mid 20's.
You know that may be the manufacturer's spec in some cases, right? The spec for my mom's Outback is 28 psi IIRC... It wouldn't surprise me if some older luxo-barges are set even lower.
Higher pressure reduces rolling resistance and all, but it also affects ride quality (the tires act as springs to some degree - higher psi = higher spring rate), ultimate traction and handling to some degree. When I tried pumping up my mom's outback to 40 psi, it picked up a pretty noticeable vibration at around 70 mph, as if a wheel were out of balance.
I'm just pointing out that while keeping people's tires filled is nice, cranking up the pressure past spec can have adverse effects.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by landon View Post
I was averaging about 10 under the limit.
Good. I hope you learned your lesson. Driving 10mph under the speed limit is dangerous. They should have given you a ticket.
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #59
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
You know that may be the manufacturer's spec in some cases, right? The spec for my mom's Outback is 28 psi IIRC... It wouldn't surprise me if some older luxo-barges are set even lower.
Higher pressure reduces rolling resistance and all, but it also affects ride quality (the tires act as springs to some degree - higher psi = higher spring rate), ultimate traction and handling to some degree. When I tried pumping up my mom's outback to 40 psi, it picked up a pretty noticeable vibration at around 70 mph, as if a wheel were out of balance.
I'm just pointing out that while keeping people's tires filled is nice, cranking up the pressure past spec can have adverse effects.
Yeah I check them inside the door but there are a few in the lot that have leaks that need constant adding of air. Bad steel mag rims that rust and cause leaks at the bead and another with new tires that probably has a nail in it. Most recommend 28 psi and some SUV size want 32-34 psi.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #60
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Good. I hope you learned your lesson. Driving 10mph under the speed limit is dangerous. They should have given you a ticket.
Situationally, 10 under can often be quite dangerous...but other times it can be fine.