What is Hypermilling? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-25-2006, 11:56 AM   #11
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I sit in traffic all the time and the best i could produce is 29.9, which is not even that 20%. There is no choice for me.
if your sitting turn the car off. you can always accelerate slowly in traffic or find another route. there is always a choice.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #12
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
It depends on the forum. At GH and CMPG you achieve hypermiler status when your average FE is greater than the EPA combined for your vehicle. At gassavers, you have to be 20% above the EPA combined to have hypermiler status which is equivalent to a Valedictorian Hypermiler at GH. At CMPG, you achieve the status of Elite Hypermiler when you exceed EPA combined by 50%. Yes, it is difficult to keep all of it straight.
When the gaslog is back up, I'll have to post my "almost elite" numbers from my trip to Indy last Saturday. With all highway at 55-60 mph, I got 55.4 mpg. If I did my math correctly, that's 38.5% above EPA for my Saturn.
Edit: EPA highway rating is 40 mpg

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:54 PM   #13
Registered Member

hypermiling is when you drive for mileage and nothing else matters. As long as when you first leave your destination your car is still the same when you park it at the end of your destination.

Its a driving style in the very end, kind of like how car ricers have fast cars and likes to rev it all the time.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:28 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
so really, hypermilling is not a set style that can be defined, but more so any driving style that increases your mileage, and does not really count unless you are passing your EPA rated mileage by a set amount?
that is rather vauge.
It really seems like a missleading goal, I meen, I could boost my total average mpg on my car if I did more low speed driving, but I use my car for going great distances, and hauling stuff/people, if I'm going some place that I can cruse along at 35mph in 5th gear, I'll take a motorcycle, it's more fun, and gets 100+ mpg, it just seems like padding my average mpg to do anything else.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:25 AM   #15
|V3|2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
Its a driving style in the very end, kind of like how car ricers have fast cars and likes to rev it all the time.
ricers dont have fast cars

what motorcycle gets 100+mpg??? its got to be super slow.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #16
Registered Member

Hypermiling in a nut shell is driving for FE. Whether it be at hwy speeds or slower city speeds.

EPA numbers are used as a common referance point. EPA for my r1.8a 5MT is 38 mpg hwy. Im nailing 44 mpg with little to no hypermiling tricks at this point. I FAS abit and have been driving 65 to 70 mph. maybe some load driving if I care to mess with it. Its only being drivin hwy right now. Very little city.

The % above EPA that one choose's to use a hypermiling referance is really a pretty mute point. Its like wanting to go somewhere and then throwing a dart at a map. Its a way to set goals,, some place to go.

CMPG is all about the tatics its takes and the skills it takes to improve mpg. At the extreme end its does involve very slow driving in some cases. Routing lodgic. A very light foot and very limited brakeing. It can get quite involved. At this point I would think Wayne is probley the best MPG/FE driver in North America, if not the world.

This seems to be a good home for mods.

I dont see it as Vauge at all. But then again I was raised and taught driving tatics and skills that most dont know about.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:50 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
EV conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I sit in traffic all the time and the best i could produce is 29.9, which is not even that 20%. There is no choice for me.
Maybe some sort of started motor with the bendex spring engauging into a sprocket on a drive shaft / axle would be the simplest form of EV hybrid mod we could do. Simple connection to the drive shaft with no drag when not in use. Then run a separate battery and charge when braking. When you get stuck in traffic you shut down the ICE and run the starter when you have to creep.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:47 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Maybe some sort of started motor with the bendex spring engauging into a sprocket on a drive shaft / axle would be the simplest form of EV hybrid mod we could do. Simple connection to the drive shaft with no drag when not in use. Then run a separate battery and charge when braking. When you get stuck in traffic you shut down the ICE and run the starter when you have to creep.
This is sounding cool. Makes me think, some small block Chevys can mount a starter on the drivers side. You could keep your regular starter in place as normal, then add a second one on the drivers side of the block just for creeping!
katman@everestkc.net

For AMSOIL products
https://www.lubedealer.com/kat

For Herbs from the Amazon
https://www.168336.amazonherb.net
GasSavers_katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
what motorcycle gets 100+mpg??? its got to be super slow.
The motorcyle in my icon deal is my Honda CB125, I aquired it less then a month ago and haven't run a full tank thru it yet, but it's sibling, a honda CB100 that's two years older, and sitting in the garage waiting for a friend who's buying it to pick it up, that CB100 I maxed out at around 150 mpg, my lowest was around 70mpg with harsh driving, a passenger a few times, and runing wide open going down the road at 60mph, it's a light enough motorcycle with enough tourqe that it has an easy time keeping up with trafic in town, I've ridden a number of motorcycles like Suzuki Katana 600 and 1100's, Honda GL 1200 (striped down goldwing), Kawasaki Ninja 250, and then I own a Honda CB350, and CB200 and for in town a 100-125cc motorcycle is plenty fast for me, the only place with a speed limit around here over 55mph is the interstate, and you have to have 250cc or more to leagly go on that anyway, Honda Rebel's are clamed to get 80-100mpg, are a 250cc motorcycle, altho they are a bit on the heavy side.
Last night I was reading a 2stroke motorcycle tuning book, and altho it was writting in the 1920's, and things have advanced a great deal, they clamed a 80-100 cc two stroke (inefficent engine deisigned more for power) would travle at up to 80mph, and get 120-140mpg, and that the 250cc racing motorcycles might get "as low as 50mpg!" but of course that was again a 2 stroke built nearly 80 years ago burning a mix of gas and caster oil.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #20
|V3|2D

yea, my buddy has a 250 ninja. i dont know if i could ever ride anything like that. but his first gear(and first gear only) pulls very nicely.