Who Coasts? tips and techniques anyone - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
If by "vacuum being made by the towing car" you're referring to drafting, I sure hope you weren't towing fast enough for drafting to matter. To get a useful draft, a 53' trailer needs to be going probably >40 MPH...and a pickup or car probably needs to be going >50 mph to have a useful draft at 8 feet.

Slack comes from the tow vehicle engine braking while the towed vehicle coasts in neutral, and possibly from rolling resistance in tires/wheel bearings/diff/driveshaft/tranny.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
If by "vacuum being made by the towing car" you're referring to drafting.
You guys call it drafting , I do it when I'm cycling behind buses and trucks

I did it once behind a truck moving at 65mph on the motorway, I did it just for a giggle.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
It's extremely effective at low speeds on a bicycle. It's also quite effective in a car behind a big truck at 65mph (see the drafting link in my sig).
Old 06-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
If by "vacuum being made by the towing car" you're referring to drafting, I sure hope you weren't towing fast enough for drafting to matter. To get a useful draft, a 53' trailer needs to be going probably >40 MPH...and a pickup or car probably needs to be going >50 mph to have a useful draft at 8 feet.

I remember my dad telling me stories when I was young and impressionable about people getting up behind 18-wheelers, up really close, then shutting off their engines and being pulled by the vacuum behind the trucks. Can't verify the stories for accuracy, nor can I access the source any longer (he passed away in '88) but that is what I remember him telling me. Of course, he also said they were so close that it wouldn't be very safe...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks View Post
You guys call it drafting , I do it when I'm cycling behind buses and trucks

I did it once behind a truck moving at 65mph on the motorway, I did it just for a giggle.
Years ago I had a copy of Motorsport magazine from the early '50s which had an article about the world's bicycle speed record...120mph, behind an Indy-type car towing a special barrier, with the bicyclist riding a bike with a HUGE front sprocket very close to the barrier to eliminate wind resistance.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:51 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Years ago I had a copy of Motorsport magazine from the early '50s which had an article about the world's bicycle speed record...120mph
That is something amazing, I had a 68 tooth front crank and 11 tooth rear sprocket on my bike and I was in the superman position made famous by Graham Obree an obscure Scottish guy that did things his way and beat everybody and a few records to on a bike made from washing machine parts

He understood the aerodynamics drag on the human body and adjusted his whole bike to suit, they only way I see 100 meter sprinters breaking the nine second barrier is with some kind of aero dynamic suit.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #17
Registered Member

Yikes, 68x11! I thought I was bad for turning 53x11 on the occasional downhill..