Why aren't hybrids diesel rather than petrol? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #41
Registered Member

The only one I can tell you about is the Mitsubishi Outlander. They say 32 miles, but that's hard to get. More like 26 ish for me. Its all hills where I live and they don't help, although you get some back with brake regeneration when you go downhill, and obviously when braking.

A charge costs me about 60p on Economy 7. With petrol at about £5.40 a gallon that's the equivalent of 175 mpg if you don't go far enough to bring the ICE into play.

This is not a light car though! There are some that can do even better that.

sealiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:41 PM   #42
Registered Member

Are you able to own it outright, or is it leased?
I stopped reading papers years ago, so am pretty behind on info, but i seem to recall that on hybids like a prius, toyota own the battery of your car still....?!
I looked at the nissan leaf, but i seem to recall a similar catch.
And you can charge off an extension cable out the window?!
26 miles would be a little short, or daily commute is about 40, but that last bit would by diesel at about 35 mpg?

Old 05-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #43
Registered Member

You own it all including the battery, and the whole lot comes with a 5 year warranty. You can charge out the window, 5 hours to full,but you can have a dedicated charger on the wall outside that does it in 3.5 hours, paid for by a government grant.

No road tax or congestion charge. I have got 36 mpg on petrol so far, so your commute would be something like 26 electric miles and 14 on petrol unless its 20 miles each way and you can charge at work.

I've not had it long and I've only put petrol in 3 times. I keep forgetting to record the mileage when filling up so I haven't got any numbers on fuelly yet
Old 05-13-2015, 11:01 PM   #44
Registered Member

My biggest concern is that the battery will need replacing anywhere between 5 and 8 years depending on mileage. At the moment, new batteries cost £5000 to £7000 although by the time most hybrids will need replacements I should imagine they would have developed a way of making them cheaper. It just seems any money saved on fuel is then wasted on replacing expensive parts.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:44 AM   #45
Registered Member

Its true that a battery would be expensive to replace today. Mine is only half the size of some in all electric cars. Mitsubishi claim that there will be a 20% drop in capacity over 8 years. I can't find a price for a new battery so far, but I would expect 3 to 4 grand to be nearer the mark. On the other hand, economy of scale will bring them down over time. Look at how much a flat screen TV cost a few years ago compared to now. Its also quite likely that better batteries will be available as time goes on, so if replacement time comes around you can have a battery that will give you a longer range on EV.

In my case a similar size and power of car would cost £2000 or more in road tax alone over 8 years, or in worst case £1250 over 5 years, and that's before what will be massive savings on fuel costs.

In my case a big part of the decision was because I really like the car too.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:59 AM   #46
Registered Member

Here is a great list of all plug ins - List of modern production plug-in electric vehicles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the US all states have at least the 8 year 100K mile warranty. In CARB states (like California, New York, etc) you get a 10 year 150K mile warranty on the hybrid batteries.

If you are lucky (or unlucky) you could have an ancient hybrid like me that the batteries are dead in yet the gasoline engine runs fine (but slower) without batteries, but I think only the early insights and civics hybrids can do this.

BTW replacement batteries from aftermarket sources seem to be in the $2000-$3000 range, there are many new sources popping up all the time as more hybrids hit the road.

itripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #47
Registered Member

Nice info!
I have only seen 1 insight in the UK, at a car show 8 years ago, never on the roads. I guess hilly and wild yorkshire is not the natural home for electric gehicles.
I guess i could charge at work, i hadnt thought of that! Ha ha ha - just asked the boss who said if i had an electric car, i wouldn't be allowed to come to work! He is now saying if he let me, he d have to let everyone, and go bankrupt!
Whatever.
I'd be interested to see how much a used insight is over here. Can a prius be forced to drive on electric till the battery is spent?
Am i right in thinking most toyotas dont plug in -any idea on their electric only range-
Old 05-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #48
Registered Member

There are 215 Insights for sale in the UK, however all of them are MK2's the Mk1's are super rare. There are thousands of hybrids in the UK believe it or not, I read somewhere that the UK is the biggest market for hybrids, probably due to high fuel prices, road taxes and congestion charges, which is where hybrids are most popular. Cities and built up areas where there are plenty or charge points. Those that can't afford hybrids usually opt for old diesels, which is why emissions start building up sometimes. There are a few different types of Prius, your standard version and your plug in version.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #49
Registered Member

My mistake - i thought insights were just the groovy mk1s, didn't realise the bland mk2 prius lookalikes were insights too.
I ve seen some of those about. A beautiful light green one on ebay, but looks like an auto...
To make my hyundai worthwhile i need to keep it 10 years, but maybe i ll look to buy one then!
I ll be filling up tomorrow, looking forward to getting a great result after dawdling along following scangauges 3 and 4 figure live mpg feedback!
Old 05-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #50
Registered Member

On ebay i assumed they were mk1s, about 6, all 3 door ones with the faired over rear arches, about 2000 i think, 1 litre engines. Lots of the 5 door different ones.