Are you guys doing alright? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Are you guys doing alright?

I am looking to purchase a car or truck to help reduce operating costs. I look forward to reading the posts.

axehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

What do you drive now?

Old 01-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

I daily drive an Avalanche.
axehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Hi, welcome to the boards. Since you're new to the board and everyone else is so friendly, I'm gonna roast ya a little bit all in good fun.

Your posting is puzzling in an intriguing way. One, you indicate you do not actually have a need for a truck (since you pose a car as an option), and yet you pose a truck as a possible or viable option for saving operating costs when you already know a truck is not viable (or at least you know an Avalanche isn't).

Two, what does 'are we doing alright?' have to do with the price of eggs? Your posting title is a little far afield of the subject of your post. I mean, it doesn't clue the forum readers into at all what your post will be about. It almost sounds like you are setting up to pitch us on something in the event we are not doing alright.

Three: el oh el at your daily driver. I mean, hey, I guess at least you didn't say you daily drive a big rig or an Excursion.

Okay, now that I've had my fun: where do you live? What kind of roads, climate, part of the world? Nokian snow tires, for instance, negate any need for a truck or truck like vehicle. Why not buy a Honda Insight or Toyota Prius? Personally I'm not crazy about Priuses since the traction control doesn't allow the wheels to spin when you might actually need them to, but that's the best all round vehicle that fits the bill for most everyone's needs while returning great gas mileage numbers. What are your needs? Why do you drive an Avalanche?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
You can certainly improve the fuel economy you're getting from your Avalanche. For fuel economy purposes it's essentially the same as my Sierra (unless you have the 6.0, or it's a different generation), and I definitely was able to reduce my fuel usage. Now, granted, that's not to say that you'll do as well as you would with a significantly more efficient vehicle.

What are your needs, preferences, and budget like? We can guess at possible gas-sippers that might work for you with some more information.

1993CivicVX, winter tires do not accomplish the same thing as 4WD. 4WD lets you continue forward without getting stuck. Winter tires can help with that but not anywhere near as much as 4WD. Winter tires are very good for braking and steering, which 4WD doesn't help with (with limited exceptions).
Old 01-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

@Holycow: I grew up on a very steep dirt driveway in the country in Massachusetts and we get our fair share of snowstorms and blizzards (30 inches from one snow fall once). I grew up with 4WD cars. Then we discovered Nokian Hekkaplita 2 snow tires and from my experience my mom's Prius was perfectly fine going up the driveway after a snowfall with the hekkaplitas. They really negated the need for 4WD. But I agree with you, 4WD is great and if you want to be totally invincible in the snow buy a Toyota Previa and put Nokian snow tires on that. You'll be pulling SUVs out of the snow all day long.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Registered Member

Add locking differentials and tire chains and your Previa becomes a tank.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
Registered Member

Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
Registered Member

Just buy a tank and never get stuck.
Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Not so ... You run out of money buying fuel!

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote