Hello all! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-15-2006, 06:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

Talking Hello all!

Ok so I am new and something of a newb when it comes to gearhead tech. However that being said I am a bit of a "Gas Notzi" so my wife says. I recently sold my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 and bought a 1992 Honda Civic CX Hatch Back. The main reason was cause I was spending more a month on gas than I was on my truck payment, i.e. $500-$600 a month in gas. I also picked the Honda Civic for the sheer number of parts out there that I could use. Thanks import tunning!! I am not a street racer but I do enjoy a "fun-to-drive" car.. Right now it has the stock D15 1.5L 50-65HP motor. I plan on either rebuilding this motor (or one like it) or upgrading to a B16A2 DOHC VTECH 120-150HP JDM model. Better preformance! A bigger displacement aprox 10.1:1 means less milage but I would still like to optimize the fuel efficiancy so as to get the best I can with that application. Like I said I may just rebuild the D15 motor.

I have a whole list of do's and don'ts FAQ style that I will post in the general discussion. Hopefully seperate the Old Wives Tales from the lagitamate tips.

P.S. Plz excuse my spelling

Red Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:22 AM   #2
*shrug*

The motor actually has 70hp, so take that, unless you're talking WHP. I think the b16a2 (if it's the obd1 model) has 170 (but that's chp also).

My suggestion to you if you still want to keep fuel economy in mind is to get a d16z6 and run it on boost, that way you can get bad FE but 225 whp when you want and run it close to stock when you're highway and just trying to save gas, but that's just me,

The b16 seems to suck gas even though it's only a 1.6, I had one guy I did an ecu for thanking me because he got 36 mpg on a 100% highway trip...

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tick
I recently sold my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 and bought a 1992 Honda Civic CX Hatch Back.
*clap, clap, clap, clap, clap* Good for you! Trucks certainly have their place in the world, but suck as daily drivers. Welcome!
Old 06-15-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
Registered Member

The stated HP ranges for my current D15 for aporx. taking into consideration the age of the motor 172,000miles and the actual HP to the wheels. Honda tends to post HP readings from motors on a dyno before they are mounted in a car. Which is ok I guess for base line stuff for them. But (mind you I am a bit of a newb) from what my civic machanic who races amature says that D15 is listed at 70HP probly gets 55-60 to the wheel off the lot. But thanks for the info and let me know if you feel these numbers are off. Will make my desisions change some. I like the sound of this B16Z6. Is it a VTECH?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:33 AM   #5
Registered Member

Another 92 Civic owner here - and they are great vehicles.

Also, another D series proponet. They can be made to perform very respecably for little money, and are a far better bet for MPG than the DOHC B series. You might want to look into the JDM D15B SOHC VTEC - it has a similar output to the D16Z6 (great motor too, I <3 mine), but should net better fuel mileage due to smaller displacment.

I am sort of in a similar place as you - I want my cake and I want to eat it too. So far, I've had a registered a 15.4 second 1/4 mile and hit 51 mpg. Not too bad in my book. It's not a screamer, and it's not the ultimate mileage getter either, but its fun and frugal.

GasSavers_civicminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:36 AM   #6
Registered Member

First off Welcome to Gassavers and the world of Honda!

Second Vtec: http://asia.vtec.net/spfeature/vtecimpl/vtec1.html

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:36 AM   #7
*shrug*

Yeah, I'm just used to stating honda motors by the chp standard and not whp (unless it's been dynoed).

D16Z6 is VTEC (there's no H, as it stands for variable valve timing electronic lift control, though that doesn't mean much, just that there's no h, )

Anyway, it's the SOHC VTEC engine from the 92-95 EX/Si, Jared on here has one, so does civicminded, and prolly a few others I'm forgetting. Civicminded has his in a CX also, so his perspective might be good on it, it makes the same torque as the B16 but only like 128hp or something like that.

You could also get a JDM d15b vtec for like 300 bucks that puts out the same specs as the d16z6, they're generally cheaper and will have 30-60k miles on them so that's always good.

EDIT: I type to slowly.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:45 AM   #8
Registered Member

Good info guys thanks I am adding them to my parts list and pricing them this afternoon. VTEC not VTECH sorry yeah think I might have known that just tend to pay little attention when typing and let spell check do its work but do not have spell check installed at work and besides it would not have my definitions loaded anyway... What is the displacement of the JDM D15B SOHC VTEC??? CHP125 thats not to bad.. does it take well to bolt-ons ???
Old 06-15-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
*shrug*

1.5 liters for the d15, it's a pattern,

I don't think the d series does too well with bolt ons besides things like y8 intake manifold and what not, but boost is extremely easy to do on them and they love it.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:02 AM   #10
Registered Member

Jack that link while having some spelling errors (something I know quite well!) had awsome info... I think I now will use the SOHC VTEC-E 3 Stage D15B.. It has 2 VTEC actuator pins for three stages.

Stage 1 great gas less power 2500RPM or less
Stage 2 moderate gas and moderate power 2500-6000RPM
Stage 3 Power only 6000RPM and above

I am sure the listed rpm ranges are subject to debate and would depend on gearing and how the VTEC was tuned.. HONDATA!!

What kind of ECU would you use with these economy VTEC's? Any ideas?