Hi - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #11
Driving on E

Re: What makes you say carbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
What makes you say carbing would give better mileage?
Agreed. My experience has shown that carbs always run richer and without an o2 sensor it cannot be properly leaned out.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:09 AM   #12
Registered Member

re:

What I have been told by my mechanic is that there is not a lot that could be done to increase gas mileage. Can't modify a fuel injection too much it seems. Mabye I am wrong. Considering what people are saying on this forum. This person has an older jeep. Has a 4.0 L I believe, fully carberated and can go upwards of 800-1000km. A carberator can be modified a bit more. Have him right now thinking about what could be done to get more gas miliage on the Sundance.

Joel

Antares2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #13
*shrug*

The reason the carb can be

The reason the carb can be modified so much is because it's so inefficient to begin with. The fact that the fuel injection itself can't take heavy modification is because it's just about as good as it gets in terms of getting the fuel in there. Carbs have issues with puddling and flow design and bad mixing and all that, while FI is precise and has a whole host of electronics to make sure it stays that way.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:53 AM   #14
Registered Member

Re: The reason the carb can be

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
The reason the carb can be modified so much is because it's so inefficient to begin with. The fact that the fuel injection itself can't take heavy modification is because it's just about as good as it gets in terms of getting the fuel in there. Carbs have issues with puddling and flow design and bad mixing and all that, while FI is precise and has a whole host of electronics to make sure it stays that way.
I agree -- electronic controls and fuel injection have improved gas mileage over the last 20+ years. There are ways to alter the ECU of the car for fuel economy that would probably be cheaper than carb-ing. I'm afraid that post-carbueration, L/km will go up. 30 mpg is a great starting point -- find out if anything in the system is malfuntioning. Is the check-engine light on? Then find out how your car "thinks". Does it like hot intake air, or a hotter thermostat for FE? If you usually travel at 100 km/h or greater, then perhaps aerodynamics mods could be the answer or a slower cruise speed...

RH77
Old 04-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #15
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
andres, you are not wrong,

andres, you are not wrong, just misinformed. the jeep can go the distance because of the tank. your mechanic is probably just missing 'the good old days' fuel injection beats out carbeuration if all other variables are equal, every time, especially for fuel economy.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:40 PM   #16
Registered Member

re:

Everything has been checked over. Everything appears to be in check. Will be getting fuel injector cleaner within next couple of days, mabye get spark plug wires changed soon. That should make a difference. If there was something I could attach that would increase aerodynamics of car that would be just as good. 30mpg is a good start, but..........with gas prices where they are would like to get further in all possible cases.

Joel
Antares2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:43 PM   #17
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
for aerodynamics, here is a

for aerodynamics, here is a good universal upgrade for anyone:

http://www.gassavers.org/forum_topic/belly_pan_installation_honda_del_sol.html

browse through the threads, there really is a wealth of informations on this site. like warm air intakes, which destroy your power but give a healthy boost to fuel economy.

the best place to begin is in understanding theory...