Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I just joined Fuelly. I'm waiting for delivery of my 2015 Audi Q5 TDI (3.0 litre V6, "Progressiv" + Sports Package, scuba blue). Delivery is expected on or about May 27/15. I'm looking forward to getting some impressive fuel economy readings on my new baby.

-Steve
(Oakville, Ontario, Canada)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

The Q5 TDI is an awesome vehicle. You will be very happy with it. I was a driver on a promotional drive Audi did in the fall of 2013 where we were given a 2014 Q5 TDI Quattro in LA and told to get it to NYC in less than 48 hours and exceed the EPA rating as much as possible. My team got the Q5 to NYC averaging 38.5 MPG.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

Jay2TheRescue writes "...My team got the Q5 to NYC averaging 38.5 MPG ..."

And I bet you weren't treating it gently to max out your mileage. I've heard and read a number of people reporting similar real-world mileage figures in various reviews and forums. It's one of the big reasons I chose the 3 liter diesel over the 3.0 or 2.0 litre gas engines. The diesel even gets better real-world fuel economy than the hybrid! That, and a ton of torque makes it nearly a second quicker 0-100kph compared to my current 1997 BMW 328ic. May 27, my Q5's estimated arrival date, can't come soon enough!

-Steve
Old 04-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

For the most part we babied it, but there was an instance where one of the guys in my car got sick, and we had to pull over for an unscheduled rest stop. We were supposed to meet all the other cars at a gas station 20 miles away, and a film crew was meeting us there too. We were supposed to all drive into the fuel station together. As soon as we got back on the highway from our unscheduled stop, I called the lead car, and asked what mile marker they were at. Did some quick math, and then turned to the driver and said "Set the cruise at 80". We were astonished that even with the cruise on 80, it was still showing some impressive numbers on the mileage display.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Impressive! Sounds like the Q will treat you well. I'd love to get some press car action...
Jcp385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
Registered Member

Jay2TheRescue, how did you determine your mileage?

FWIW, my current '97 BMW 328ic has a real-time non-cumulative fuel economy meter, as well as a computer that reports fuel economy since user reset. I always reset it when I refuel. You'd think these devices would be accurate. Nope. The only fuel economy numbers I trust are: full tank, drive a known distance (preferably measured by GPS because odometers are often inaccurate), fill tank and note how much fuel was added, then do the math to determine MPG or L/100km.

-Steve
Old 04-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

That's the way fuelly calculates fuel consumption, it's pretty accurate. Welcome by the way, nice car. That engine is quite a popular choice here, although the most popular VW/Audi engine is the 2.0 TDI. Some of these engines can do over 60 MPG in the lighter sportier variants.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
Registered Member

Draigflag: It's too bad those smaller TDIs aren't being offered in Audi's mid-size vehicles in North America :-( I'm aware of a 1.8 liter TDI in the A3, but otherwise, nothing. I have no idea if I would have gone for a 2 liter TDI in the Q5. When I test drove the 3 litre TDI, I was seduced by the power, smoothness, and non-diesel sound. The great fuel economy, as reported by multiple real-world sources, was the clincher for me.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #9
Registered Member

Yes diesel makes most sense in a lot of countries, especially those that are taxed on C02 and those that have high fuel prices. Up to 75% of cars are diesel in some parts of Europe. Some larger vehicles such as SUVs are only available in diesel, as no-one would buy a gas variant. The good thing with diesel is that the economy is pretty consistent regardless of where/how you drive, unlike a gas vehicle where you have to be careful with the throttle, and burn a lot of fuel when idling in traffic. My brother got stuck in 40 inches of snow this winter, left the van running all night for heating, and 8hours later, the fuel gauge had hardly moved.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
Registered Member

Draigflag: Yeah, North America is way behind in diesel mindset, due in large part to a way of life based on a river of (relatively) cheap oil. Many here believe diesel engines smoke, clatter, and it's hard to find diesel refueling stations (even though roughly 1 in 2 offer diesel). I've gotta say, I'm very impressed with Audi's diesel V6. It doesn't sound like a diesel. I even checked the Porsche Cayenne diesel SUV -- it sounded too much like a diesel truck for my tastes.

FYI, I did some number crunching using today's artificially depressed fuel prices and determined the break-even point the premium I paid for my 3.0 V6 diesel (CAD$2500 over a 3.0 turbo gas engine, or CAD$5000 over a 2.0 turbo gas engine):
42,300 km (26,226 miles) compared to 3.0 V6 gas
90,600 km (56,172 miles) compared to 2.0 I4 gas

If we return to our previously high fuel prices:
26,800 km (16,616 miles) compared to 3.0 V6 gas
58,300 km (36,146 miles) compared to 2.0 I4 gas

I keep my cars for a long time. My current one is 18 years old with 290,000 km (179,800 miles).