New member with a Nissan Cube... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopsQube View Post
I'm driving it like I should. I don't hot-rod it and I shift at low rpms, usually no higher than about 3000. I can't help the fact that it has crappy aerodynamics. You're SE-R is a lot sleeker cutting through the air than my Cube, or your xB for that matter. I'm not going to mope along at 65mph in a 70 when everyone else is buzzing by at 75-80mph.
That's not going to cut it. You'll never improve your fuel economy when you let the lemmings dictate how fast you drive. When you put yourself in charge, you'll control your own mpg. When you let them push you along, you'll continue to get FE that sucks.

FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:01 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Saving money. All the new cars these days are pretty eco friendly, so that shouldn't be a concern.
With that motivation, you'll want to focus less on buying things (like wheels and VGs), as most purchases will not pay for themselves.

What kind of roads do you drive on, and how's the traffic?

How comfortable are you with trying unfamiliar driving practices like neutral coasting?

Google tells me the Cube's drag coefficient is .35. The xB has the advantage at .32. However, .35 is quite common for modern sedans, hatchbacks, sportscars, and so on. The 29MPG 305HP 2010 Camaro rates .36. Don't let your Cube's shape discourage you.

You may have to get used to not being the most popular driver on the road. To save fuel you're going to need to modify your driving style, which means you won't fit in with everybody else. When you're getting >35MPG it's easy to laugh at the jerks who are hurrying around never getting to their destination any faster than you, just wasting their gas and getting speeding tickets.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:55 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
That's not going to cut it. You'll never improve your fuel economy when you let the lemmings dictate how fast you drive. When you put yourself in charge, you'll control your own mpg. When you let them push you along, you'll continue to get FE that sucks.
Well it's not that per say as much as it is the fact of the morning rush hour. All four lanes pretty much move at the same speed, even the semi's. Plus I'm driving through two major cities every day.

I drive 100 miles every day (50 each way) on the highway doing between 65-75mph. I also drive roughly 12 miles in city at around 35mph. That's 83% highway driving.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:11 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
With that motivation, you'll want to focus less on buying things (like wheels and VGs), as most purchases will not pay for themselves.

What kind of roads do you drive on, and how's the traffic?

How comfortable are you with trying unfamiliar driving practices like neutral coasting?

Google tells me the Cube's drag coefficient is .35. The xB has the advantage at .32. However, .35 is quite common for modern sedans, hatchbacks, sportscars, and so on. The 29MPG 305HP 2010 Camaro rates .36. Don't let your Cube's shape discourage you.

You may have to get used to not being the most popular driver on the road. To save fuel you're going to need to modify your driving style, which means you won't fit in with everybody else. When you're getting >35MPG it's easy to laugh at the jerks who are hurrying around never getting to their destination any faster than you, just wasting their gas and getting speeding tickets.
The wheels I got not because of FE, but because I always put wheels on all my vehicles. However, I always try to go lighter if I can. In this particular case, I saved 3 lbs per corner in doing so. The VG's, well, I just wanted to try them for the heck of it.

As I stated above, I do 83% of my driving on flat highways. Traffic can get pretty hairy at times, but usually clears up after about 20 minutes, though it feels like forever.

Just as of yesterday morning, I have applied a few techniques that I read on the forum here, one of which was raising the tire pressure from the stock 33psi up to 40psi. I also started doing a little coasting with the clutch in when I come down small hills, but because of the huge frontal area of the Cube, speed spills off pretty rapidly. In city driving, I have tried that "WOT" driving while shifting low, usually right around 2500rpm, but no higher than 3000rpm. I noticed with my normal driving skills, TPS reads typically 25 in town when going through the gears. Now when doing the WOT technique, TPS is around 35. I'm not exactly sure if this technique is going to give my any kind of advantage or not. I honestly don't see how it can to tell you the truth.

Today before we head out to the beach, I'm going to stop by the gas station and fill the tires up to their max sidewall pressure of 51psi. I noticed yesterday that going from 33psi to 40psi really didn't make much difference in ride quality or mileage/TPS. So we'll see. I just hope that tire heat doesn't spike the psi to a dangerous level.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:17 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
When you let them push you along, you'll continue to get FE that sucks.
But at least he'll stay alive.

Jim

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #16

There's no doubt in my mind that there are more (and more serious) accidents involving people driving 75 mph than involving people driving 55 mph. It's both physics (mass X speed) and statistics (more people driving 75).

Chopsqube, you probably have more leeway than you think. Consider alternate routes that put you on slower secondary roads. It sounds like you have driven 65 mph at times on your route. Prove it to yourself. Drive a tank at 65 mph, and if you don't get a 7-10 mpg improvement, I'll eat my hat.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
I have tried that "WOT" driving while shifting low, usually right around 2500rpm, but no higher than 3000rpm. I noticed with my normal driving skills, TPS reads typically 25 in town when going through the gears. Now when doing the WOT technique, TPS is around 35. I'm not exactly sure if this technique is going to give my any kind of advantage or not. I honestly don't see how it can to tell you the truth.
2500 is probably not low. It's certainly not low in anything I've ever driven. I can't imagine that technique will work if you can't get under 2000. I tend to shift when I reach 1100-1500, entering my next gear at or near idle. Most vehicles would need more RPM than mine but you can probably do better than 2500.

Also, the WOT method is usually better if you don't go quite to the floor, as that may cause the computer to go rich trying to provide every bit of power possible.

Your drive-by-wire throttle is probably programmed to do something like the WOT method already. Mine is...I've been watching TPS lately and it goes to 86 (the maximum reading in my car) at low RPM with only 1/2 of the pedal. Still, practicing the technique has been very effective for me, so the DBW's programming doesn't completely do the job.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #18
Registered Member

my wife really likes the cube. I can't justify the cost (as with most new vehicles) maybe when they are a few years old.

she currently has an element and we recently bought a nissan quest. I will admit that nissan holds their value well.

one other thing is that you may still be breaking in the motor. I know that some new vehicles take a few thousand miles before you get consistant mileage numbers. that may or may not be the case for you.

the aero isn't everything. I proved it to my wife when I got over 26mpg in her element hauling wood for a friend. she couldn't get those numbers with just her in the car.

I also understand about keeping up with traffic.

my advice is to try what you feel comfortable with and go from there. once you do a few things, you may feel more comfortable doing others.

I'm still feeling out the cube to see what I think. not too big on the non-symetrical thing but wasn't too big on the element at first but it definitely grew on me.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #19

I've gotten nearly 46 mpg avg over the lifetime of my xB, and it's got the same .35 cD as the Cube.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Chopsqube, you probably have more leeway than you think. Consider alternate routes that put you on slower secondary roads. It sounds like you have driven 65 mph at times on your route. Prove it to yourself. Drive a tank at 65 mph, and if you don't get a 7-10 mpg improvement, I'll eat my hat.
There really isn't any alternate routes for me except for one, and that one takes me nearly 30 miles out of the way. Also, whether I'm doing 65 or 75mph, there's not that much of a difference in my TPS and or "live" MPG. However, I just bumped my tire pressure up to 50psi at all four corners, so we'll see what that does for me.