SMooTHn'Z 4th Gen Civic - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Talking SMooTHn'Z 4th Gen Civic

I am kinda new here, but never intorduced myself so i decided to start off with my latest cheapest car buy.

The FIND:
I found out about this hatch from a neighbors' son in law, an older man in his 50-60's, he had asked my other neighbor if he knew anyone wanting to purchase a older Honda for real cheap? I was outside working on my hatch and he called out to me, so I walked over there and he told me that this guy was selling a Honda for cheap, he immediately caught my attention when he said 'Honda'... I asked how cheap and he told me $150!!! =) =) =) ... then he started telling me the story about it...

Car History:
This guy bought the car Brand new and drove it from Orange Beach, FL to Perry, GA daily for work in the Military. I did a Google map to the first base that it was in GA was 255mi away... So 500+ for few years... He eventually got another car and let this sit till he met his new wife (my neighbors daughter). She drove the car for a couple years until the timing started to slip. She ended up getting another car from her daughter and her son was going to take the car but never came to get it... The car odometer is at 281,xxx, so i figured the old man must've been real good to the car

He has had a few people come by over the years asking about the car but they wanted to pay for it later, which was something he didnt want to do... He said at first he was telling people $300-500, but after so many flakers, he didnt think anyone wanted it...

So I told him to give me a week and ill take it, he said no problem and doubted anyone would pick it up anytime soon... That was the 15th of Dec. , just this past week...

NOW 12/22/2007

Well today was a week and I got the dough for a Christmas gift from my BooBoo :hugs:... She's great !!! She actually gave me the cash Thursday but I didnt have time till this morning to go... By 11am the hatch was all mine
:drink:...

I dont have a truck so a buddy of mine is going to come by on Wed. and he's gonna take me up there, along with my neighbors car dolly, to get the hatch.

Now finally some Camera Phone Pics...

I know this is really a ED Hatch but by popularity of terms EF was the appropriate Topic title...

The FIND:
I found out about this hatch from a neighbors' son in law, an older man in his 50-60's, he had asked my other neighbor if he knew anyone wanting to purchase a older Honda for real cheap? I was outside working on my hatch and he called out to me, so I walked over there and he told me that this guy was selling a Honda for cheap, he immediately caught my attention when he said 'Honda'... I asked how cheap and he told me $150!!! =) =) =) ... then he started telling me the story about it...

Car History:
This guy bought the car Brand new and drove it from Orange Beach, FL to Perry, GA daily for work in the Military. I did a Google map to the first base that it was in GA was 255mi away... So 500+ for few years... He eventually got another car and let this sit till he met his new wife (my neighbors daughter). She drove the car for a couple years until the timing started to slip. She ended up getting another car from her daughter and her son was going to take the car but never came to get it... The car odometer is at 281,xxx, so i figured the old man must've been real good to the car

He has had a few people come by over the years asking about the car but they wanted to pay for it later, which was something he didnt want to do... He said at first he was telling people $300-500, but after so many flakers, he didnt think anyone wanted it...

So I told him to give me a week and ill take it, he said no problem and doubted anyone would pick it up anytime soon... That was the 15th of Dec. , just this past week...

NOW 12/22/2007

Well today was a week and I got the dough for a Christmas gift from my BooBoo :slapslap:... She's great !!! She actually gave me the cash Thursday but I didnt have time till this morning to go... By 11am the hatch was all mine
:drink:...

I dont have a truck so a buddy of mine is going to come by on Wed. and he's gonna take me up there, along with my neighbors car dolly, to get the hatch.

Now finally some Camera Phone Pics...

FRONT

BACK

DRIVER

PASS

Inside Front

Inside Back Seat

A ghost standing in front of the car with title in hand :

As you can see it needs some work, but for $150 I think its a deal... Lemme know what you think? :wave: :wave:

smoothn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
Registered Member

pics aren't working

but good score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
P.S. I must be a wierdo as I think just because a guy can afford to do something, doesn't mean he should. I can afford to buy 100 gallons of gas several times a month, pour it on the ground, light it (or not)... but I don't think I should.
GasSavers_Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

fixed
Old 12-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Registered Member

looks like a decent deal for a standard hatch, its 4 speed right? just need some cleaning up, touch up, and your good to go. i bought a 90 civic standard hatch for 900 about 5 years ago, clean as a whistle, with 160k.
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
That sounds like a great deal, the only part that I would worry about is the timing belt, if the valves hit then you runed the head, the cheapest way to fix this is a used engine, I would guess that you could get an engine for $400 and have someone install it for another $400, of course a cheaper engine might be found some place like car-part.com or hondatec.com and if you spend $25 on a shop manual they give step by step on engine pulling.
but even if you need a whole engine, the body on the car looks awsome, normal drivers seat wear, seeing as how I don't see a DX emblem on the back, I would assume the same, that it has a 4 speed, and throttle body injection, and being a base modle it should have verry few extras, so it should be a nice light car.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Registered Member

the thing i would do to that car is get a tranny swap to a 5 speed. i averaged about 41 mpg highway when i had a standard hatch just like yours, since its only a 4 speed maunal, a 5th gear would help alot.

also the engine might need to be changed, u know, for security and since it has so many miles.
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
That sounds like a great deal, the only part that I would worry about is the timing belt, if the valves hit then you runed the head, the cheapest way to fix this is a used engine, I would guess that you could get an engine for $400 and have someone install it for another $400, of course a cheaper engine might be found some place like car-part.com or hondatec.com and if you spend $25 on a shop manual they give step by step on engine pulling.
but even if you need a whole engine, the body on the car looks awsome, normal drivers seat wear, seeing as how I don't see a DX emblem on the back, I would assume the same, that it has a 4 speed, and throttle body injection, and being a base modle it should have verry few extras, so it should be a nice light car.
I agree with getting a used engine... I am sure I can install it myself i have swap B-series engines before this should be almost the same... Yea i was surprised to see the body in that good of shape, the only noticable damage was the hood was backed into once but I can get another hood for a good price or just deal with this one for now... The seat are also easily replacable I have a set in storage off a 94 intega also have another 94 integra sitting my my driveway that I could take the interior from... I am sure this is the DX model... no doubt 4 spd but i think i will swap it over to obd1 5spd...
Old 12-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
the thing i would do to that car is get a tranny swap to a 5 speed. i averaged about 41 mpg highway when i had a standard hatch just like yours, since its only a 4 speed maunal, a 5th gear would help alot.

also the engine might need to be changed, u know, for security and since it has so many miles.
Yes I agree swapping out the engine would be wise...
Old 12-25-2007, 03:27 AM   #9
Registered Member

Tomorrow my new baby comes home... YAY!!! man the anticipation is killing me... LoLz..
Old 12-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
if it's a 4 speed, them I am pretty sure that it's a base modle, not the DX, altho I could be wrong, as I said befor, the base modle normaly had throttle body injection, insted of multi point injection.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote